pickled onions

ditchman

my onions did rubbish this year..ended up with a bucket of onions the right size for pickling......has anybody got a good reciept for picking that keeps the onions crunchy and not slimyish.......i generally sprinkle salt on them for a day prior to bottling them up with malt vinegar

your thoughts

ditchman

my onions did rubbish this year..ended up with a bucket of onions the right size for pickling......has anybody got a good reciept for picking that keeps the onions crunchy and not slimyish.......i generally sprinkle salt on them for a day prior to bottling them up with malt vinegar

your thoughts

ditchman

if you want crunchy pickled onions,put the vinegar in cold(hot vinegar will give you soft onions)stick a few peppercorn/mustard seeds in each jar to add some flavour,or stick a finger/scotch bonnet chillie in the jar if you like your onions with a bit of kick,BB

• 3 weeks later...

just opened first jar of onions...when doing them i sprinkled saxa salt on them and left them in the fridge overnight, looked at them in the morning and there was a cupful of water in the bottom of the bowl !!...wiped the onions dry and put them into the jar with sainsbury dark malt vinegar, ground black pepper mustard seeds and a bit of chili powder.....my pickled onions are no longer slimy inside and very crunchy and have a real strong bite to them...good result !!

Edited by ditchman