SGC for children

jimmyb79

A friend of mine wants to get his kids into shooting and is toying with the idea of getting them their own SGCs. They are both under 15 so as I understand it cannot legally own their own shotguns. Am I right in thinking that they can 'borrow' a gun from someone with an SGC eg their dad who owns a junior gun for use at clay shoots where there is no exemption held?

absolutely no point in having an SGC under 15, you cannot a shotgun unsupervised and cannot have possession on a shotgun unless supervised by a valid certificate holder, which you can use one if supervised by a certificate holder anyway regardless of whether you have an SGC or not

wait till he's over 15 then he can have his own shotgun and can use it unsupervised, in the mean time just use one under supervision of a certificate holder

in the mean time just use one under supervision of a certificate holder

Depends how you interpret the law but my understanding is that ONLY the landowner can lend a shotgun to a non-cert holder. The rules are more relaxed in the case of lending section 1 firearms.

Thanks chaps. Have read the BASC guidance, thanks for the links HDAV.

So...if my mate gets a cert and purchases a gun for himself, one for his son and one for his daughter, theoretically speaking he can 'lend' them one of his shotguns for up to 72 hours without notification to police to be used under supervision of any suitable person.

ie, we can go clay shooting with the kids and their guns at a site which does not hold a licensing exemption?

The main reason for this is that I shoot clays at a straw bale shoot which doesn't hold an exemption for the holding of a SGC and my mate would like to take his kids...

Seems that I've got that right, but I'm sure my friend will be speaking the FEO to make sure!

Thanks chaps. Have read the BASC guidance, thanks for the links HDAV.

So...if my mate gets a cert and purchases a gun for himself, one for his son and one for his daughter, theoretically speaking he can 'lend' them one of his shotguns for up to 72 hours without notification to police to be used under supervision of any suitable person.

ie, we can go clay shooting with the kids and their guns at a site which does not hold a licensing exemption?

The main reason for this is that I shoot clays at a straw bale shoot which doesn't hold an exemption for the holding of a SGC and my mate would like to take his kids...

Seems that I've got that right, but I'm sure my friend will be speaking the FEO to make sure!

I think you have got that spot on it for ground or shoots with no exemption that kids can get SGC it also helps them learn to resepect it more IMHO as if the screw up they wont get another one!!!! As aways check with the FEO in your area.

absolutely no point in having an SGC under 15

There are three (theoretical) advantages to getting a brat ^h^h^h^h child their own SGC - two for the kid and one for the parents:

[a] The child can shoot where *only* SGC-holders are permitted.

The child can be taken to a shoot by a *non*-SGC-holder.

[c] It encourages the kid to "keep their nose clean", especially vis-a-vis *violent* misdeeds.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I'm not sure how would work in practice; how do they retrieve their gun unless the SGC-holder is there to open the cabinet?

Edited by ChAoS

P.S. I'm not sure how would work in practice; how do they retrieve their gun unless the SGC-holder is there to open the cabinet?

Or can be lent to the by another person at the shoot who isn't the "occupier" or allows someone else to take the child out while the main SGC holder can't go (for many many reasons)

the guy whos gun it is gives it to the <15 year old and the kid can use it when the >21 year old is supervising Edited by Gizza22196

There are three (theoretical) advantages to getting a brat ^h^h^h^h child their own SGC - two for the kid and one for the parents:

[a] The child can shoot where *only* SGC-holders are permitted.

The child can be taken to a shoot by a *non*-SGC-holder.

[c] It encourages the kid to "keep their nose clean", especially vis-a-vis *violent* misdeeds.

Regards,

Mark.

I believe you are spot on.

My son jamlad on here has had his own certificate since he was 12th birthday and has his own shotgun which is listed on my certificate.

The advantages you list are spot on and allows him to take a shotgun with my permission to the clay ground when I am at work as long as he is in company of my wife or another adult.

More importantly it does help children to keep out of trouble as they know the consequences of loosing the certificate. It also shows that you trust them and feel like you are treating them like an adult.

Well worth £50 in my book.

V

My son was granted his when he was 11. The only time that it has been of practical use is when we shoot Bisley SG's "Pay and Play". His guns are on my certificate. The other big benefit was going through the process of applying and being interviewed by the FEO. He made a big impression, particularly with regard to safety and responsibility.

Nick