Expanding Ammunition limits

I have the British Firearms Law Handbook 7th Edition.

My query is this

This is a direct quote from The British Firearms Law Handbook 7th Edition. Chapter 3-29. It is important to stay within your limits in each calibre as you are committing the criminal offence of unlawful possession if you exceed it. As stated elsewhere, bear in mind that the limit includes not only complete rounds of ammunition, but in the case of expanding ammunition, the bullet heads as well. Re-loaders beware!

So if re-loading you can hold as many FMJ bullet heads as you want, but can you hold as many

hollow point

soft point

Or any other types of bullet head as long as it is non expanding

Cheers

I have had experience of this with 3 different forces.

Force one, wanted every projectile such as Ballistic tip, V-Max, hollow point and soft point listed as expanding projectiles and accurate records kept.

Force two, said don't care what you have until it is loaded and becomes a round of viable ammunition.

Force three, wants a rough number of types and calibres and set a realistic limit on possesion and purchase.

None were prepared to make a statement on BTMHP which seem to fall between FMJ which they dont need to know about and expanding hollow points which they do. The unofficial guidance was to list them (one and three) but NOT to use them on live targets.

I am of the opinion they are similair in performance to FMJ despite the hollow point and therefore are not a suitable round to use against live targets. As to their legal status I wouldn't like to argue it in Court either way.

Its all a joke, criminals cut hacksaw cuts into bullet heads and shoot them from home made zip guns etc. Meanwhile we have restictions on lumps of inanimate lead. when you see in the press a gamekeeper being procecuted for another offence it often states (and other offences under the firearms act) do you think he has an illegal handgun stash or unregistered shotguns guns? nope he has a few too many bullets. now obviously having 625 rather than his alloted 500 he is a substantial extra risk to society, lets face it if he lost his marbles he could shoot another 125 people during a rampage.

Never was there a clearer example that this is a bad law that serves no purpose. Do you know why we have a separate tag on condition for expanding? because some fools banned them - forgetting things like the existing Law ie. deer act made thier use complusary. Why oh why do the press state the guy had another 300 rounds of ammuntition at his home when some idiot shoots someone with a licenced gun- its irrelivent! The guy wasn't any more of a nutter and if any wack job gets to go on such a killing spree as to exceed his ammo allowance there needs to be some serious questions answered as to the slow deployment of armed police

Now as a target shooter i had thousands of heads, no restriction on brass, primers or powder numbers- yet i could only put so many together at one time but need not record the numbers of those i assembled. indeed the only thing you have to show a cert for is the primers and these are not recorded on your certificate.