Woodchip / bark chips in release pens?

Yesterday I attended our shoot with another PW member to do our stint of pen duties etc.

Ground conditions were very poor, resulting in my falling base over apex; winded for a while, when I eventually got back on my feet with assistance, I realised how lucky I'd been; my head had hit the ground a few inches from a tree stump.

During the drive home I realise how lucky I'd been; felt vindicated in my inststance of only going keepering with a buddy, and then started to wonder what we could do to prevent similar accidents in the future.

I wondered about spreading woodchips / bark chips to create tracks through the pens. I guess that these would soon get scattered by the birds and need replenishing. I have however wondered that if we did make use of the chips would we run the risk of aspergilosis?, or is this restricted to straw?. I don't know! Do you?

webber

get the ******* to stop being lazy and cut treestumps to floor level would help for a start, they used to do that on my shoot its a hazard for people and vehicles once the grass grows up

That would be a good start.

I'm no expert, so this is just a suggestion, could you not use gravel or something? A path with wood chips would probably rot and become slippy. I think gravel would be less slippy and would last longer. Could be wrong on that though.

Yesterday I attended our shoot with another PW member to do our stint of pen duties etc.

Ground conditions were very poor, resulting in my falling base over apex; winded for a while, when I eventually got back on my feet with assistance, I realised how lucky I'd been; my head had hit the ground a few inches from a tree stump.

During the drive home I realise how lucky I'd been; felt vindicated in my inststance of only going keepering with a buddy, and then started to wonder what we could do to prevent similar accidents in the future.

I wondered about spreading woodchips / bark chips to create tracks through the pens. I guess that these would soon get scattered by the birds and need replenishing. I have however wondered that if we did make use of the chips would we run the risk of aspergilosis?, or is this restricted to straw?. I don't know! Do you?

webber

we used wood chip earlier this year for the very same reason, very slippy under foot on the path leading to one of the pens, the chip gives instant grip but will over a few weeks work into the soil / mud and become slippy again but not as bad as before, my guess is a year or two down the road and it will have rotted away. Yes i'd inadvertantly introduced aspergilosis last year to some partridge by using wood chip which had been chipped for a few weeks (and left in a heap) to blind off an area which had been (too) heavily limed. Edited by Paul223