Strangford Wildfowl

Anser Anser

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, so I shall start off by saying hello!!. My topic is around the fortunes of wildfowlers on Strangford. Is it just me, or are there very few ducks this year? Also, i see and heara lot of Grey geese, but feel thesewont stay for long, but move on soon. As a bit of interest, there are loads of Brent in very early this year. Looking forward to comments!

Sorry to all for not replying sooner. I am talking about Strangford Lough in Northern Ireland. As Dr D says there are too many ponds being fed with grain to hold the ducks, and that along with reserves such as Castle Espie and the Quoile pondage, it is little wonder that we se so few ducks on the salt water!. At any time i can visit the Quoile and see hundreds of Mallard, Teal and Widgeon ( when they arrive here).Though this pondage is not fed, it is a natural floodwater which has open spaces along with marsh area. So there is a load of natural feeding and shelter for those birds. no wonder there are so many there!!

Well, i was out for the geese this am. First cold (ish) day so far. Only saw the local flock of canadas fly low over the lough to inland fields. No sign of any grey geese at all now. Hope they return!!!!!. And, not a sign of a duck on the lough. Called into the Quoile pondage reserve on way home and there about 3oo mallard and teal quite happy to stay there!!

Well, i was out for the geese this am. First cold (ish) day so far. Only saw the local flock of canadas fly low over the lough to inland fields. No sign of any grey geese at all now. Hope they return!!!!!. And, not a sign of a duck on the lough. Called into the Quoile pondage reserve on way home and there about 3oo mallard and teal quite happy to stay there!!

there's nothing there worth bothering about Anser. your best chance of shot is the tide bank in Ards at the odd pintail