Falconry?

Baldrick

Having just watched mind-boggling falconry display today, I would really like to try my hand at it. I fully appreciate that falconry is an immensely time-consuming sport, but I'd simply like an introduction to it.

Could anybody recommend a falconry centre or a falconer that runs "experience"/introduction days, ideally in the South East/East Anglia?

Any advice appreciated.

I had a great day with http://www.forestfalconry.com/ If you can make it to the New Forest from London it is well worth it. The guy is a mine of information and hardly stops telling you facts and stories, you get to have a go and on the full day we went hunting with his ferrets and Harris hawk for the afternoon. It is not a day for the tourists you will catch rabbits and get to fly the birds which are amazing.

Just be prepared to want one of your own after you have been.

I already want a falcon, based on what I saw today and at recent country fairs - they're majestic birds, but I'm aware how all-consuming it is as a sport.

Thanks for the link to Forest Falconry. I'll investigate further. I know the New Forest pretty well, so I'd happily make the journey from London.

Good luck with that Baldrick, I am fascinated buy them and have seem fairly lack lustre dispays at game fairs, but also some blinding ones too. One of the best nature programs I have seen on telly was the Steve Leonard Extreme Speed one where he jumped out of a hot air baloon with a camera man and the hawk not only caught them up easily, but had to feather it wings to slow itself down :good: no wonder they give pigeons a whack when they hit them from above!

I've seen peregrines stopping on pigeons in the Avon Gorge in Bristol. That was very impressive, although seen from a distance. This gyrfalcon was up close and personal though, and the speed at which it attacked the lure was simply unbelieveable.

I agree that some demonstrations are lacklustre. The one yesterday was in Battersea Park, of all places, however the clear skies and open space made it a good display.