First Greylag of the Season

DOLLSEYES

Nice one.

I also got my account for this season up & running this week, was out & on the shore for 0545 on Wednesday with a surprising chill in the air. Noticed a couple of other fowlers way out to my right as dawn broke & the babbling & chatter started from what seemed like ALOT of geese.

As the excitement grew I felt sure to get a shot as the flightlines are fairly steady around this small bay.

Eventually, under a brightening sun, skeins & skeins poured off the sand bars in numbers of 5 to 50 per skein, many within 12 bore range & I saw 3 fall to 3 shots in the distance.

Alas nothing came over my hide out & I was cursing the fact that it looked like I had chosen the only spot that morning that a goose would refuse to flight over!

As the sun got higher, the bay - & my flask emptied, I was about to head for home when I heard more faint music on its approach, hiding my face for the final time ( & praying,) a small group of 4 went overhead & I managed to bring the nearest down with the second barrel, joy replaced emptiness & everything seemed worthwhile again.

Roll on my next day off!