20g for fowling?

matty*

In my opinion a twenty bore is not large enough for fowling and a lot of clubs will not allow anything smaller than a twelve.

If you are flighting a small pond with short range shots then maybe OK but not for real fowling.

I'd disagree with that to a point. If we were talking geese or very long range duck then yes but ducks over a splash etc then a 20 is enough gun if you can shoot straight and know your limitations.

I used a 20 bore for nearly 25 years and never shot better. In the half light of flight its so fast and easy to swing on the duck that flit in and are gone in seconds. I killed every type of goose with it but you must remember that when shooting at a goose, you must go for the head and neck, body shots are unlikely to kill cleanly. Range is also very important, 40 yards is a maximum, so learn to judge range.

If your main quarry will be geese then I wouldn't recommend a 20 but if most of your shooting will be at duck then the 20 will be fine but I wouldn't recommend steel, there just isn't enough shot in the cartridge to ensure clean kills except at very close range. I had used Winchester Rangers in 7/8oz number 7 in lead, killing cleanly everything from Canadas to teal and out to 50 yards. But when lead was banned I bought a large stock of Tungsten Matrix cartridges, which were as good as lead but considerably more expensive, When those cartridges eventually ran out, I decided to return to using a 12 bore.

John

Thanks for all your replys. Yea i understand they have there limitations on distance, but that will be respected and if its not in my range then im more than happy to leave it be or let my friend take the shot with his 12. And it will mostly be ducks we will be after, i doubt ill go for a while after this time so i dont mind spending then extra on a good load for the trip.

Thanks

Matty