Mating

Gordon R

I do not have gundogs, but could still do with some advice. I have two Japanese Akitas. The bitch has been spayed and we never had any intention to breed. I have been asked by the owner of an Akita bitch if I would agree to use my dog to do the deed. I don't want a pup, but don't want to seem awkward. My dog looks the part and I can see why he wants to breed from it. It's very well boned, striking looking and ten stone. However, it's four years old and has never mated. It doesn't get the chance to mix with other dogs and I'm a bit worried about them fighting. My dog was attacked last year, by a Labrador in St Ives. My dog was on its' lead and the Lab came running up the beach and launched into it. My dog made a bit of a mess of the Lab, and I don't want a repeat. Is it too late to start? Advice appreciated.

Doing a controled breeding both dogs will be on a leash with handlers present. It is not uncommon for a breeder to want to breed back to a pup that they have bred in the past. However over here it is the breeders responsibility to have the hip and eye certification done and stud fees are; a pup back or the price of a puppy. Also be sure that the breeder has her bitch tested for k9 brucellosis (sp)...doggie vd... and k9 herpies virus as both can cause many problems for your male if exposed to the virus.

NTTF

Suddenly gone off the idea. Hadn't really considered health risks to my dog.

quote name='new to the flock' date='Sep 12 2006, 11:07 PM' post='215997']

Doing a controled breeding both dogs will be on a leash with handlers present. It is not uncommon for a breeder to want to breed back to a pup that they have bred in the past. However over here it is the breeders responsibility to have the hip and eye certification done and stud fees are; a pup back or the price of a puppy. Also be sure that the breeder has her bitch tested for k9 brucellosis (sp)...doggie vd... and k9 herpies virus as both can cause many problems for your male if exposed to the virus.

NTTF