A few more birds.

steve_b_wales

As the weather forecast was dry today, 'the poacher' and I decided to try our luck on the Corvids again. We met at 3.30pm and as we drove up the lane to the fields, there were 100's of Crow's/Jackdaw's in the field of oat stubble.

We set up, using some flocked Crows and some sillouette ones that I made. As usual, all the birds disappeared for awhile, but one or two came into the kill zone, and paid the price.

There were a few flocks of Jackdaw's high in the sky,over on the next farm, and we estimated one flock to be well over 150, but they stayed clear of us. A few Jackdaw's came in, in two's and three's, and we shot (and missed) a few. We had the rota going and a flapper, both with dead birds attached. We noticed that some Jackdaw's came in, but then flew away as they came close to the rota. We found this strange, as last year, the Jackdaw's were 'mobbing' the rota.The ones that we shot were all very young, so they did'nt know anything about a rota. I switched it off and moved the flapper further outside our pattern, and this seemed to improve everything. We placed the shot birds together with the decoys.

By 6pm, the sun was setting, and it soon got cold. We waited in the hide, deciding to give it another half hour before we packed up. Two Crow's came in low up the field, right in front of the hide, and I managed to shoot one. We finished shooting by 6.40pm and packed our stuff away.

We had a good few hours and shot 16 Jackdaw's and 1 Crow. The photo's show our end result, although one Jackdaw was picked up after the photo had been taken.The other photo shows the decoys, together with some shot birds.

Mark and I have decided to wait until we both have a day off work and then go after the bird's at first light. This has always proved a better time. My thanks again to Mark for his company, and as always, we had a good laugh.

DKY 1.jpg

DKY 2.jpg

it was nice again to get out for a few hrs as recently all its been is work work work ....as steve stated there are hundreds of corvids back on this farm and we have to hit them when we can,im looking forward to atleast 2 days off next week so we can hit them at first light ps i would like to thank steve for his company again,cheers mate cant wait for our next outing :good: