Gunshop Commision Rates

grahamch

I've been trying to sell an almost new gun using the various websites and tired of being messed around went to see to local dealers to see what they would charge for selling it.

One quoted 20% and the other 25% - this seems a complete rip off for doing very little work, or do other dealers charge similar rates?

I've been trying to sell an almost new gun using the various websites and tired of being messed around went to see to local dealers to see what they would charge for selling it.

One quoted 20% and the other 25% - this seems a complete rip off for doing very little work, or do other dealers charge similar rates?

So your tired of being messed about, and you expect someone else to suffer the same amount of tyrekickers, provide a heated, lighted showroom with experienced advice, and salesmenship for nothing :hmm: They will have to charge vat on the sale, so straight away there's 20% that they will give to hm customs. They will probably get a tad more than you have tried and can't get. You don't say what sort of costs are involved, but if its a sub 500 quid gun, its unlikely they will end up with more than 50 quid. Hardly a major investment opportunity :no:

Edited by turbo33

They will have to charge vat on the sale, so straight away there's 20% that they will give to hm customs. They will probably get a tad more than you have tried and can't get. You don't say what sort of costs are involved, but if its a sub 500 quid gun, its unlikely they will end up with more than 50 quid. Hardly a major investment opportunity :no:

also the dealers are liable to repair any faults that may develop, this is something that you would not have to do,

the guy has to make a living.

also the dealers are liable to repair any faults that may develop, this is something that you would not have to do,

the guy has to make a living.

Yup, plus "will you throw in a couple of tins of pellets/ shells, and a bag to take it home in".

I take it the op doesn't run his own business!

Edited by turbo33

So, which is better - 10% off a lower price from the shabby shop that then makes you wait a month for your money and six month later refers a complaining new owner back to you because after just 10,000 more shots its becoming loose and he wants his money back - OR - 20% commission to the smart shop that markets well, gets a good price that still nets you more, pays you the day after the sale and underwrites the warranty themselves.

You gets whats youz paiz for, as they say.

I've no idea what the going rate is, but that doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

They've got it filling up the racks, they have to deal with customers who may/may not be interested in buying it, as you seem to have already experienced. Obviously people are always trying to get the price down to rock bottom, then ask for some free carts and a slip to go with it.

Then the biggest thing must be if there is any fault. I'm assuming that it's the shop who would have to put matters right if someone buys it then returns it after finding a fault - you only need that to happen and, by the time you've dealt with the customer, paid a gunsmith to repair it, dealt with the customer again, and possibly ended up with stories spreading about faulty guns bought from your shop, you've lost any profit you ever made on that gun.