Replacing the striker pins on a Browning Citori

Andy135

The lower striker pin on my Citori was showing signs of wear & tear. The head of the pin looked like it had little pocks & craters in it, almost as if it was becoming brittle and starting to break up. I didn't want the pin to let me down during a shoot so I opted to replace it before it got any worse. Interestingly the upper pin still looks fine. I've seen this type of uneven wear on a couple of other Brownings too. Maybe the under barrel gets more use and the pin wears quicker.... who knows. If anyone has any ideas then let me know.

Below are some pictures of how I replaced it.

100_2329.JPG

Removing the butt pad - there are two hidden slits in the rubber of the pad through which the screwdriver is pressed to undo each screw.

100_2330.JPG

My stock bolt removal tool - I don't have a screwdriver long enough so I made this up from various 3/8" extension bars.

100_2333.JPG

The business end of the stock bolt removal tool - a flat-head bit in a 6.5mm socket in a 1/4" reducer on the end of the 3/8" extension.

100_2337.JPG

The end of the old lower striker pin awaiting removal.

100_2339.JPG

The striker retaining pin that must be removed before the striker can be replaced. On this gun the retaining pins are knurled on one end. The knurling isn't visible with the pin in situ, but the pin is shorter than the drilling it sits in, so I simply tapped it out from the end of the drilling where the pin is recessed, not flush, using a suitably sized pin punch. In this case I was tapping out from the opposite side of the action.

100_2341.JPG

Tapping the striker retaining pin through from the other side of the action.

100_2342.JPG

Retaining pin half-way out, showing the knurled end.

100_2350.JPG

The retaining pin has fully disengaged from the striker and the striker and spring has been removed from the action.

100_2334.JPG

New striker and spring from Midway UK.

100_2347.JPG

Old striker on the left, new striker on the right. In this photo the pitting on the old striker can just be seen (bad quality photo). I measured the new pin to make sure it was about the same as the old pin (just a little longer but not so long as to cause issues when breaking the barrels after firing).

100_2351.JPG

Tapping the retaining pin back in after installing the new striker and spring.

100_2352.JPG

Finished - the new lower pin and the existing upper pin.

In all, the job took about 30 mins, maybe a little more due to taking photos.

I've recently had to replace the broken firing pins on two of my M37s. Since I'd not done this before, I asked around for advice.

It was suggested that before I fired a live round after the repair, that I fire a blank and inspect the primer to make sure that the replacement pins weren't too long. (The blanks were made by just taking a live cartridge and removing everything except the primer.)

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

I've recently had to replace the broken firing pins on two of my M37s. Since I'd not done this before, I asked around for advice.

I it was suggested that before I fired a live round after the repair, that I fire a blank and inspect the primer to make sure that the replacement pins weren't too long. (The blanks were made by just taking a live cartridge and removing everything except the primer.)

Regards,

Mark.

I did the same with some fired carts, and I noticed that the new pin leaves a very, very light scratch on the primer from the impact point to the bottom of the primer as the gun is opened, where the new pin protrudes a little longer than the old. As the new pin beds in and wears I expect the scratching to disappear.

Thanks for all the feedback. Good to know the photos are helpful.

Edited by Andy135