Browning Gold sporting clays. any good?

defender

I've got a chance of a Browning gold sporting clays about a 1998 one with wood and a black action with gold writing.

28"ported barrel with 4 chokes, key, manual and a Browning plastic foam lined case in realy nice condition.

I've borrowed it and I'm trying it clay shooting tomorrow

Are they any good or am I better looking at somthing else in my £420 ish price range

Edited by defender

Browning makes a nice shotgun I shoot a Browning Silver. The only issue that you will probably encounter is the gas piston spring fracturing. I have heard and seen it too many times to regard it as a fluke. There is a fix for it, sleeving, but if you are buying might as well buy a Beretta auto they seem to be pretty bulletproof and are used in the high volume dove fields of Argentina--hows that for a test?

Browning makes a nice shotgun I shoot a Browning Silver. The only issue that you will probably encounter is the gas piston spring fracturing. I have heard and seen it too many times to regard it as a fluke. There is a fix for it, sleeving, but if you are buying might as well buy a Beretta auto they seem to be pretty bulletproof and are used in the high volume dove fields of Argentina--hows that for a test?

I do on average 200 shells a month and so far I only do clay shooting.

I noticed it has a "special" piston

20121020_215330.jpg

I was saving for a s/h Maxus but I'm not quite there yet so this one is like a Maxus but cheaper

I saw a Beretta at another gunshop near me but when I went back it had gone

I've had a search about the spring and it seems to affect quite a lot of brownings including the Maxus and I quite liked the look of those.

Edited by defender

I have a Gold Sporting Clays (green/blue) & a Maxus grd3 ~ they are different guns but one's no better than the other and both are brilliant guns, the Sportin Clays is a heavier gun for shootin clays, I shoot mine in a hide at pigeons or duck flightin, I use the Maxus for walkin up woodcock and pheasants, I use both for clays over the winter months so I'm familiar with them for the fields after shootin clays all summer with an O/U . You'll be gettin a good gun for the money you've said ~ go for it !

I have a Gold Sporting Clays (green/blue) & a Maxus grd3 ~ they are different guns but one's no better than the other and both are brilliant guns, the Sportin Clays is a heavier gun for shootin clays, I shoot mine in a hide at pigeons or duck flightin, I use the Maxus for walkin up woodcock and pheasants, I use both for clays over the winter months so I'm familiar with them for the fields after shootin clays all summer with an O/U . You'll be gettin a good gun for the money you've said ~ go for it !

Did over 200 shells today one of the instructors even borrowed it for a novice who was having trouble with o/u recoil and it behaved without a problem..

Thought I'd clean it before taking it back as its on loan at the mo, those burn marks on the magazine tube are really stubborn after 200 shots.

I'm soaking them in 009 on a cloth to try and loosen them, green scourer is tempting but I'm not using it unless its recommended to.

Also can be cart length fussy best to stick to 70mm carts

over 200 today Eley first and Kent velocity std clay carts can't remember the size will have to look.

I've also got a Mossberg 835 pump 3 1/2 magnum, I like that too and it's only had Eley first and Kent velocity through it so far

I use a scotch brite(green scour) on my gas tube routinely and no worries--you won't wear through it in this lifetime. It takes the powder off pronto!

Good for you on the googling, at least you are aware of the problem and can use it to your advantage. If you google SureCycle shotgun accessories you will find a company that has a sure fix for the spring issue. They remove the spring and put a solid sleeve in it's place---no change in function as far as I can tell but I only shoot light loads in mine. I use the 10 ga for Waterfowl.

Edited by coyotemaster

I use a scotch brite(green scour) on my gas tube routinely and no worries--you won't wear through it in this lifetime. It takes the powder off pronto!

Good for you on the googling, at least you are aware of the problem and can use it to your advantage. If you google SureCycle shotgun accessories you will find a company that has a sure fix for the spring issue. They remove the spring and put a solid sleeve in it's place---no change in function as far as I can tell but I only shoot light loads in mine. I use the 10 ga for Waterfowl.

I used a small piece of copper braid on the end of my finger and it cleaned it off a treat after soaking in 009 then a thin coat of 303 over the moving bits and back together.

Checked the spring in the piston and it was fine.