Advice needed for a newbie

Mrs P

In all honesty 50% of "advice" on here is absolute rubbish. This is the tinternet and beware of unsolicited advice. Most of you of have never even seen the lady, you don't know if she's tall, short, fat or thin.

How on earth can you advise her what to buy?

And the Cynergy is a pile of poo.

Yes I have decided to forget to cynergy now I don't think it will be for me.

Ha ha but you have seen me but I'm not going to ask if you think I'm tall, short, fat or thin ha ha

PhilR seems to have some good advice, a lot of which you had also said to me yesterday :-)

Im thinking that buying a gun for a woman is a little more difficult than it is for men, but maybe I'm wrong !

Well if the profile pic is real it's clear she has a long elegant neck and slim build. Women often need a a higher comb than standard so an adjustable stock may well be the to go. Being Adjustable means it can easily be changed to suit most people!

I agree with not listening to most of the advice you read but you have to start somewhere. Shoot lots buy few.....and get a second opinion.

Well if the profile pic is real it's clear she has a long elegant neck and slim build. Women often need a a higher comb than standard so an adjustable stock may well be the to go. Being Adjustable means it can easily be changed to suit most people!

I agree with not listening to most of the advice you read but you have to start somewhere. Shoot lots buy few.....and get a second opinion.

Yes the profile pic is real and it's a fairly recent one :-)

Yes I think the adjustable stock would be good for me. When I next go looking I will try a few for size that have them and see how it feels.

Yes as Mike says me and my husband are complete novices, we have only had 3 lessons so far, but will be booking another for this next weekend.

Once we have our licences we can try hiring a few so that we can try out a few more guns.

Then we can go out and buy our own :-)

Yes I have decided to forget to cynergy now I don't think it will be for me.

Ha ha but you have seen me but I'm not going to ask if you think I'm tall, short, fat or thin ha ha

PhilR seems to have some good advice, a lot of which you had also said to me yesterday :-)

Im thinking that buying a gun for a woman is a little more difficult than it is for men, but maybe I'm wrong !

Get mr p to post his fav pic of you and we can advise you a lot better ,we need to see which gun would fit ya shoulder IE a snug fit lol

Hi Everyone

Well as i have said in my title i am a newbie to all things shooting.

My husband and I have had 3 lessons so far clay shooting (sporting) and are really enjoying it.

We applied for our shotgun licenses about 4 weeks ago so hoping they wont take too long.

While we are waiting we thought we would start looking into what shotguns we would like to purchase.

I had originally set my sights on a Browning Cynergy Black Ice, but these are proving difficult to find.

I have been told by the lady at Malmo guns i need one with an adjustable stock and she recommended a Winchester Select energy 30" 12bore.

I just wondered what peoples opinions are on this gun or could you recommend any other guns to look at which would be suitable for women.

Many thanks in advance

Mrs P

trust in Rosey at malmo, lady's fit is quite different to the blokes. not all gunsmiths / gunsellers know the score on this. you cant choose a shotgun on marketing or look it 100% needs to be fit first

Hi Mrs P, my wife shoots a Perazzi MX2000 12 bore. She's 5ft 2in, 8st and a size 8 so you can gauge her size to your own. If she picks up any make of gun she can't see down the rib. When I look along the rib towards her eye, with the gun unloaded of course, all I can see is her eyebrow.

She's had a Beretta 682, a Browning GTI and is on her second Perazzi and on all of them she's had to have the stock altered dramatically to get the comb height correct and with the Perazzis she's had custom made stocks.

It's the same with most of our shooting female friends, they've all had modifications made to get the gun to fit them.

It is highly unlikely that you'll manage to pick up a gun off the shelf which will fit you particularly well. Having an adjustable comb will certainly give you the opportunity to get the comb height right. It may well that the stock is too long as well. A critical fit is also the size and shape of the pistol grip and how far the radius of it is from the trigger as that affects how well you can hold the gun properly and whether you reach the trigger comfortably. The other physical thing that needs to be considered is how well you're padded up top as some gun stocks have a pronounced toe which can dig in uncomfortably, this can also be easily remedied by changing the pitch of the stock.

None of this stopped her from shooting exceptionally well, she's been in the GB ladies trap team for more than 20 years, and was European UT Champion in 2000.

I would hope that wherever you buy the gun from takes this into consideration. If you go to Kelbrook I think Mike or Aaron Meggison would be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.

Phil

Hi Phil thank you for the advice you have given.

Mike told me some of the same things when i met him on Saturday so its good to be hearing someone say the same things.

Thats a nice gun that she is shooting but a bit out of my price range. I dont really want to go over £1500 unless its something that i really do fall for.

I am 5ft 7in and a size 10 so im a little taller and bigger than your wife but not by alot. So that means if she is ok with a 12 bore then so will I.

Wow she must be a very good shooter! Good on her is what i say :yahoo:

When we do go back to malmo (when we have our licenses) we will let them know in advance so that they know we will be coming down and can spend time with us so that we can look at and try as many guns as possible and then make any necessary adjustments that may be needed to the gun i pick.

We have been having a look at that kelbrook place so we may have to pop down there and either have a lesson or hire a gun or two when we have our licenses and we can ask some advice at the same time.

Thanks again

Cheers

Mrs P