.17 Hornet

Oops Missed Again

Big difference between the .17Rem and the Hornet as far as range goes. The rem should stone a fox to around 300yds. with a 25 grainer. If you didn't know you can use .204 Brass I am told in the .17 resize die and have a better quality of brass than factory rem brass and less expensive as well.Work up loads as the inside dimension is a little smaller.

I'm told my HH should be with me soon. As soon as I get it out in the field I'll post up what I think of it. I'm interested to hear if anyone's bought a factory Savage yet? I'm assuming that it should be very similar to the AH I had a couple of years ago - I think home loaded 25gr bullets will be better than the factory 20's as they seem to completely blow up and only make about 6" of penetration with a grapefruit sized wound channel.

Depends on what you want it for.

The .204 has more legs than your .17Rem and the .17HH has less.

The .17HH is a great light weight 250 yd all round vermin/fox gun. If you want something to carry with you all day that will take any quarry you come across then this is a great little round. The .204 is in a different ball park and capable at far greater ranges. It really is horses for courses. I have both and would choose the .204 any day of the week. However having said that, for the past month I have been carrying my .17HH with me doing my rounds every day and have not found the HH wanting but for foxing work I still take something with more clout and legs. I should add that the Savage .17HH is proving to be extremely accurate and bucks the wind well, I like it.

Depends on what you want it for.

The .204 has more legs than your .17Rem and the .17HH has less.

The .17HH is a great light weight 250 yd all round vermin/fox gun. If you want something to carry with you all day that will take any quarry you come across then this is a great little round. The .204 is in a different ball park and capable at far greater ranges. It really is horses for courses. I have both and would choose the .204 any day of the week. However having said that, for the past month I have been carrying my .17HH with me doing my rounds every day and have not found the HH wanting but for foxing work I still take something with more clout and legs. I should add that the Savage .17HH is proving to be extremely accurate and bucks the wind well, I like it.

Thanks for your views. It's good to hear from owners of the guns. Looking at a Savage 25 but good god they are so ugly. I know the crow or fox won't mind the looks of the gun but I certainly do! As for long range work I try and keep the distace down a bit these days rather than shoot 3 fields away. :shifty: