dry firing

-markie-

On spring guns it is a bad idea. The force of the piston going forward relies on the air resistance of the pellet in the barrel slowing it down. Without it the piston slams into the end of the cylinder and can cause quite major damage if you are unlucky. I'm not sure about Pneumatic guns, but I think that they are ok with it. I dry fire mine every time I finish shooting and take the magazine out, and have never had a problem.

Don't do it on a springer!

I thought it was ok to do it on a co2 rifle but i did it with my old QB78 in front of someone a little wiser in the ways of guns and got a total ####ing from him! apparently you can destroy the seals. He then took the rifle and displayed how to safely disengage it (cock it, hold the bolt back, pull the trigger).

I'd imagine it's also a big no no for precharged guns for the same reason.

I've never had a problem dry firing either my PCP or springer rifles. Obviously both are designed to push a pellet out but really, I don't see that it makes too much difference. That said, I wouldnt deliberately and consistantly dryfire any rifle full stop. It will also depend on your particular rifle, make , model etc. If your that worried about it, your best option is to contact the manufacturer and ask.

Don't do it on a springer!

I thought it was ok to do it on a co2 rifle but i did it with my old QB78 in front of someone a little wiser in the ways of guns and got a total ####ing from him! apparently you can destroy the seals. He then took the rifle and displayed how to safely disengage it (cock it, hold the bolt back, pull the trigger).

I'd imagine it's also a big no no for precharged guns for the same reason.

Its not really the case.

The worst that could happen with dry firing a Co2 rifle is that the cold gas will cause condensation to form in the barrel (after repeated shots due to very cold gas) and this would cause corosion in the bore when the gun is put away. But this would me quite a bit of dry firing, otherwise it wont be a problem. The selas on Co2 guns then to pack up pretty quick due to the freezing liquid gas exposed to them every shot.

• 4 weeks later...

How do you release a buddy bottle on a PCP if you don't dry fire it?

I ask because that's how I've been told to reduce the pressure between the bottle and the gun when taking off the cylinder. Loosen buddy bottle, 6-10 dry shots (at the ground obviously) then spin bottle off.

Most people at the plinking range when finished remove the magazine, throw the bolt, point the gun at the gun at the deck and fire dry. Are they telling me wrong?

I was told that dry firing a spring or piston ram gun was a no no, as the moving parts are liable to damage as well as the seals.

PCP's on the other hand as their is no moving parts other than the release valve, it doesn't affect them. However the theory behind the cold gases rings true, and i will be double checking with The airgun Centre to se ewhat they say.

No problem on a PCP.

On pulling the trigger on a PCP gun, a weighted hammer will strike a springed pin valve, and release a burst of air, then shut off.

Spring piston guns will be damaged as the piston will be pushed too fast, and will damage seals, burn the lub, and possibly damage the front of the piston if it strikes the end of the cylinder too hard.