Reloading

Radar70

Well it depends a bit on what sort of reloading you do and what you hope to get out of it. If you are looking for extreme accuracy, for example F class targets at 1000yds, then annealing after every three or four loading maybe worthwhile to help keep neck tension uniform. If you shoot some odd wildcat calibre where brass is hard to come by or needs careful forming then extending the usable life of cases could well make it necessary.

Even regular shooting/reloading, with good quality brass now around a pound a case, it makes sense to get the best out of it. Five or six reloads might start showing a couple of cracked necks then it's time to dump the brass, annealed cased might go to twice that before primer pockets start to loosen up.

I anneal after about four reloads. When sizing and seating the bullets it feels like new brass every time.

No not by hand as its too hard to replicate the degree of anealing. Few f-class / TR and other sucessful competitive shooters actually do this at all. Lapua brass is normally good for at least ten loads if you dont push it too hard. you shouldn't see any cracked necks in the lapua stuff in .223 with good loads during this period and maybee much more.

Well it depends a bit on what sort of reloading you do and what you hope to get out of it. If you are looking for extreme accuracy, for example F class targets at 1000yds, then annealing after every three or four loading maybe worthwhile to help keep neck tension uniform. If you shoot some odd wildcat calibre where brass is hard to come by or needs careful forming then extending the usable life of cases could well make it necessary.

Even regular shooting/reloading, with good quality brass now around a pound a case, it makes sense to get the best out of it. Five or six reloads might start showing a couple of cracked necks then it's time to dump the brass, annealed cased might go to twice that before primer pockets start to loosen up.

I anneal after about four reloads. When sizing and seating the bullets it feels like new brass every time.

Not heard of neck tension before. I'm new to reloading so best i start reading up!

1066 and Kent both have good points, I have been annealing my neck sized cartridges including one wildcat for several years with a small propane torch with excellent results. The secret, if there is one is to note the color change that signifies the correct temp and stop there. With a bit of practice you will readily get a feel for the amount of time and the proper flame needed. It has effectively prolonged case life by double or more and increased accuracy through consistent neck tension