Best type of trap for grey squirrel ?

30-6

My farmer friend has squirrels in an out building after his bagged barley which he feeds the cattle as a supplement in winter. We have shot 5, but there is at least another one we have seen creeping out of the building, which contains old wood and general farm accumalated rubbish with plenty of hidy holes. One or two rats in there as well.

Question - if we went down the trap route :-

Live catch or kill trap ? If kill trap, (preferably suitable for squirrel and rat), fenn or magnum body trap ? Any type easier to set than the other ? (and what size / model number, best place to buy etc.). I understand all must be set in tunnels.

Cheers in advance.

My farmer friend has squirrels in an out building after his bagged barley which he feeds the cattle as a supplement in winter. We have shot 5, but there is at least another one we have seen creeping out of the building, which contains old wood and general farm accumalated rubbish with plenty of hidy holes. One or two rats in there as well.

Question - if we went down the trap route :-

Live catch or kill trap ? If kill trap, (preferably suitable for squirrel and rat), fenn or magnum body trap ? Any type easier to set than the other ? (and what size / model number, best place to buy etc.). I understand all must be set in tunnels.

Cheers in advance.

hi we use the mk4 fenn trap, they work very well and will catch the rats aswel, they are easy to set, once you know how to set them, and just make some boxes to put the traps in, to make it easyier to move locations

If you are anywhere near red squirrel populations, then you must not use any spring traps.

If not, which is likely to be the case as red squirrel populations in Wales are confined to large forests, then use whatever trap you want.

As has been said, fenn traps will work well. Just make sure you cover them so that non target species can't get caught. Put some whole maize at either side of the trap and you should catch them. I find maize to be the best bait for squirrels.

Rats do wise up to traps but I've never known it happen with squirrels. For squirrels, trapping is widely considered the most effective method of control. Although cage traps are most effective in spring and summer when natural food is scarce, and less effective in the autumn and winter after nuts start to ripen and the squirrels have more food. Well sited spring traps work well all year round.

A company called solway feeders sell different types of traps. A friend has used them and given a good review when I asked him about them. You could also try an agricultural store.

Edited by Reece