Imp/mod choke

Bigglenn

iMod or improved modified is a choke constriction tighter than modified but looser than full. It was my standard second barrel when I was rough shooting with multichoke guns because it gave me a bit of range and was also the tighest choke I could shoot with steel (and gave fantastic patterns with big shot at longer range, both steel and lead).

It is extended so it is easy to change when you want to change it. No other reason really.

rick

As well as the added benefit of being able to remove them or check they are still tight without the need of a wrench.

Original multi chokes were very short, so the theory was lengthen the original design to give a more gradual taper and/or longer parallel section to benefit patterns compared to the standard shorter flush chokes.

The more cynical might say the marketing department of an aftermarket choke company came up with them as they were easily seen by other shooters and then become the next must have item and used the above theory to justify them being superior.

Am I right in saying that improved mod is just the us name for 3/4 and the eu way off 2x ** . That is the way I understood it. It's what I use in my sx3 semi as it gives the best range and pattern mix @ 45 yards with a 30g 6 there were 75 shot in the pattern plate compared to 60 shot when 1/2 = modified =eu *** ther isn't a lot between them so I just stick to what I use and it actually the choke that was in the gun when I unboxed it so it works for me if I shot a m/c over and under not a fix I would use 1/2 and 3/4 so modified and improved modified or *** and **. If in doubt you need to pattern your gun with your choice of carts at your choice of distance as all guns and chokes a slightly diffrent al length of barrel and the choke in etc

I had my chokes checked against the bore of the barrels of my Laurona with a micometer at a gunsmiths (Kirkleese Guns) and the came out as follows(I should mention that they are not a completely matching set but they fit perfectly):

Cyl = 1/4

No 3 = Between 1/4 and 1/2

Imp Mod = Between 1/2 and 3/4

No 7 = 3/4

No 10 = Full

If you buy chokes that are not made specifically for your gun/barrels it might be worth checking them but the best thing by far is to pattern test them with the catridges that you normally use!

I find extended chokes preferable to flush fitting ones as there is no need to carry (And chance loosing) a choke key.

Cheers guys for the responses it is the American imp mod and so on its the browning gold semi with extended choke it makes the barrel length about 3 inches longer looking at a few videos on the tube aparantly it's used a lot for shooting in round tight wooded areas to keep the patern compact cheers again