Heating Vents

reddan

Currently half way through building a kitchen extention on the back of my house. Its single story with a pitched roof. The ceiling follows the roof line and so is very high on what is currently the rear wall of the house. The kitchen has big doors through to my living room (not shown on the drawing) where there is a woodburner. I think the doors will stay open a lot of the time and what with the woodburner, the heaters in the kitchen and the heat from cooking it occured to me that the heat will rise up and sit under the high ceiling. I have had an idea to put through wall vents which can be opened and closed from the bedrooms to let some of the heat through into the second story. The way I would see this working is the kitchen etc gets warm in the evening and before going to bed the vents are opened so the heat comes through, maybe lowering the amount i have to heat upstairs (?). I could do with the PW advice/opinion:-

SMemo_052_zps798fdff6.jpg

As I see it there are pros and cons.

Pros - saving money on heating upstairs/good circulation of air.

Cons -

- Possible food smells upstairs?,

- Would this be a really bad idea if there was a fire in the kitchen (thinking smoke here)?

So what do you think, good idea or bad idea?

Dan

My worry would be about carbon monoxide as you're allowing the source of a potential problem access to sleeping quarters. I would be inclined to ring up the body that oversees woodburner installation, can't remember their name, but I assume you get a completion certificate from them as you would from Gas Safe after a gas installation?

My gut reaction would be "no" though.

My worry would be about carbon monoxide as you're allowing the source of a potential problem access to sleeping quarters. I would be inclined to ring up the body that oversees woodburner installation, can't remember their name, but I assume you get a completion certificate from them as you would from Gas Safe after a gas installation?

My gut reaction would be "no" though.

I did wonder about that. Thought truth be known the vents will be as far away as the stairs so it could just come up the stairs. I have a carbon monoide detector in the living room already. On the fire front I suspect that I would have to add alarms to the bedrooms.

Dan