Obsolete ammunition

il cacciatore

>putting an antique gun on a FAC for some weird and wonderful foxing/ stalking calibers

Chances are any 'obsolete' calibre is going to be too underpowered or too large a calibre to comply with either the deer shooting laws or the home office guidlines.

But you can get the dies and brass to make most obsolete calibres (with the exception of rook rifle rounds) and then add the obsolete rifle to your FAC for target shooting.

As far as I understand it a rook rifle is a term for an antique rifle of an obscure calibre, presumably at some point in the late 18th century used for shooting rooks! I have heard of them in many calibres and I would assume that lack of common place ammunition led to their demise. They often occur at auctions as they can be owned without a ticket.

<EDIT>

Google gives this:

English term for a light, usually single-shot rifle, firing a centerfire cartridge of power similar to a pistol cartridge, and used to shoot rooks, crows and other vermin.

</EDIT>