Running a shoot in biomass wilow

Hi I could do with some help regarding the best methods to use to run a shoot in willow, the farm is now 80% willow, with a walk and stand format with 16 guns, since the farm changed to willow the bag has halved I believe the birds are there we just can't get them out, is the any shoots out there that shoot in willow that could offer me advice, thank you dave

Hi I could do with some help regarding the best methods to use to run a shoot in willow, the farm is now 80% willow, with a walk and stand format with 16 guns, since the farm changed to willow the bag has halved I believe the birds are there we just can't get them out, is the any shoots out there that shoot in willow that could offer me advice, thank you dave

Hi what birds are you putting down and have you any rides cut in the willows

I think your correct game is very hard to push out from this stuff, your only chance is clearings IMO. I have quite a bit of willow and it is so thick that I seriously doubt birds can take to the wing in much of it, ground game can run around in quite a small patch with dogs right on their scut and they still don't bolt

Pheasants at the moment, the willow is in blocks with set aside around each block and some rides the biggest issue is we can get the birds to the edge of the willow, but then they must cut back, the guns are seeing the birds but we can't get them to flush, I was thinking off sowing some mustard at the end of each block then have surling about 20 yards back into the willow that the beater stop at starting shaking to try to stop the birds running back then use the dogs to flush, does that stand a chance

You don't say if you are releasing birds or relying on wild birds. However in such a situation as large an area of cover crops as possible where you wish to present the birds from is essential.

Feeding your birds on feed rides in the cover crop and adjusting the amount you feed them so that on a shoot morning they are in the crop rather than spread out through the willows would be my recommendation. Make the birds come to where you want them rather than trying to blank in and flush from impenetrable willow.

No feed in willow plantings just good cover. Having feed in the right places is the key in this situation. The simple answer is have cover strips away from the willow and feed the birds away into those. If no cover strips even feeding into a thick hedgerow can work. Otherwise, depending on size and shape of willow plantings feed just one corner/ edge of the planting, just to make a drive smaller and more manageable. Generally the birds will not be much further than 200 m max from any feeders.

This is impossable in my book. The birds will only inhabit the first 15 or 20 yards from the edge, the crop is so thick that it would not be possible to get beaters and dogs through it. Any birds that are shot would also be hard to recover.

Cover strips is the answer or walk away to something easier.

A.

• 2 months later...

Trust me its a friging nightmare looking after birds in willow plantations, for one in willows and two trying to get them to fly, we couldn't cut rides or do anything in the way of helping them fly, also vermin control was an issue due to there only being a headland to patrol, they soon realise that they only have to nip into the willows to be safe.

on the plus side it did harvest loads of woodcock and if your up for a bit of hard work it does pay off in the end but it is a lot of hard work.

Rich