What are my chances of getting an FAC?

chacotawas

Hi guys,

I've just posted this question elsewhere on the site. I guess I should have put it here. It goes like this: I own and live on 40 nice acres in Scotland and I'd like to apply for an FAC to use something like a .223 to cull the roes that abound here. Trouble is that my land- which includes 7 acres of ancient woodland- is basically a narrow, mile-long strip between on one side an old drove road and on the other a busy dual-carriageway. Nowhere is the distance between the two roads more than about 450 yards, and it's considerably less in places. I'm guessing my chances are about zero. I maybe should say that for most of the way the motorway is obscured from my ground by being at a lower level. Would I stand a significantly better chance applying for an FAC for an airgun? I wouldn't use that on deer, of course, but rabbits are a serious problem too. Is it worth my while applying?

You've got the reason; you’ve got the land if you've got the cash and you haven't been a naughty boy go for it. Apply for a 22rf for vermin and a 222 for the roe and fox. If you know the land then you know where to shoot. Even better if you use several strategically placed high seats on a feed spot along that mile then you will be shooting down at the ground and you will probably be able to see out onto the drove road and the dual carriageway to time the shot so that there are no ramblers or cyclists on the drove road and that there isn’t a vehicle passing on the dual carriageway at that moment. I wouldn’t even consider an fac air rifle. The only objection can be the road and if you cant put five shots onto a fifty pence piece sized target at a hundred yards then reconsider.

Dont do yourself down before you've got started.

Edited by fortune

Many thanks, folks, for these helpful replies. Not at all what I expected in terms of estimates of chances. Very encouraging, and I'm grateful for your help. I'll start by joining SACS (though I don't know what that stands for right now!) via the phone number kindly provided by Vulpicide. I'll post result/s when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I guess this might be useful to somebody else in my situation. As Vulpicide recommended, I phoned the SACS. Subsequently, received a phone call from Ian of that organisation. I told him my story and he put me straight about what to do. A mine of information that man and generous of his time. Basically, he says- as some of you guys did- that there's no reason why an application wouldn't be successful- I have reason and land. In the event of success, he recommends that I go for a .22 rimfire for the rabbits, and a .222 or .223 for the roe deer. Both of these latter calibres are legal for roe in Scotland. So, thanks to all who replied, and to Vulpicide and Ian of the SACS in particular. I look forward to being a more active member of this community in future.

Good sport,

Iain.

Yes, somebody mentioned high seats. But fact is that there are loads of places where I'd be positioned well above the quarry and shooting down. The roads needn't be a problem for the shooting but I thought they'd be a problem from the police's point of view. But from what I'm being told that'll probably not be the case. As Ian said to me today, everybody has to be careful no matter what the land's like that they shoot on; you're applying for the right to own a rifle , not for permission to shoot over some piece of land. I suppose that makes sense. But a high seat's something to think about right enough, especially when my son-in-law could knock me up one in no time. Thanks.