Working different breeds

Longy0710

Guys

I have my two labs coming on great now and have secured plenty of picking up for next year with these two. However I am always being drawn towards bringing a Cocker into my kennels for beating and rough shooting over.

So my question is, does anyone else work more than one breed? If so how do they find it etc

p.s my dogs are kenneled outside

Longy

I work labs and springers, I did have a Cocker too, but only kept it until I finished training it and then moved it on. (It did my bloody head in)

I pigeon shoot with the labs as well as a little walk up shooting.

I work the springer with the hawks as well as beating and a little rough shooting.

I did take the old springer pigeon shooting every now and then as this picture shows, But she is dead now and have a nutty youngster in its place, the picture was a cpl or three years ago. The Labs will work cover ok, but nothing burst cover like a spaniel .

All my dogs are kennelled outside together in one large kennel and run.

post-47459-0-11657400-1359531537_thumb.jpg

Edited by Actionpigeons

I work a Lab for picking up and I'm currently training a springer she'll be about 6months. I do a bit of rough shooting so need the springer for flushing and IMO you just can't beat a lab for retrieving although my springer is an excellent retriever. Both dogs live in the same kennel but are obvioulsy trained seperately. Ideally they will be worked together with the springer hunting up and the lab to mark and retrieve............we'll see.

ATB,

lee

Edited by lee-kinsman

Labs and spaniels here too for picking up. Beware, picking up can ruin a good spaniel in terms of being able to shoot over it as they will draw on and hunt for themselves if they have been allowed to rake a lot when picking up.

If I have a spaniel and a lab out shooting the spaniel does the hunting and the lab is at heel, sometimes the spaniel will get the retrieve, sometimes the lab.

Labs only for anything that involves sitting still!

Labs and spaniels here too for picking up. Beware, picking up can ruin a good spaniel in terms of being able to shoot over it as they will draw on and hunt for themselves if they have been allowed to rake a lot when picking up.

If I have a spaniel and a lab out shooting the spaniel does the hunting and the lab is at heel, sometimes the spaniel will get the retrieve, sometimes the lab.

Labs only for anything that involves sitting still!

there are a few labs that hunt up especially on walked up grouse, though the problems are similar to the picking up spaniel - its hard to get then to stay close at heel when they know there is fun to had out hunting! I am warming to the idea of a spaniel in the kennel as the cover is too high of recent to see a pointing breed, I just don't know if it would get enough work with the amount of walked up rough shooting I do. I know many will argue in their favour but I don't see a spaniel as a great wildfowling or rifle dog which is what I do 95% of the time, thing is I have some cracking ground for a spanner