Eye position and point of impact?

Mr Majyk

straight forward question here gents,

how does eye positioning to your scope affect you point of impact if at all? I ask because i was out rabbiting last night with .17hmr and id tweaked the zero at 100yds and it was grouping nicely in the right place resting on a bipod on the bonnet of the land rover. we were on a new permission and found a bank which had been turned into swiss cheese by bunnies so we pitched up fifty yards from the bank put the kettle on and waited for the bunnies to show up for the party. and the bunnies did turn up in very healthy numbers. one problem, almost every shot i fired missed! im not a champion shot but i can easily make a sub-inch group at 100 with my .17 I dont think id knocked my scope at any point, my shooting partner thoguht it might be my eye position to my scope? any thoughts?

I don't think it was your eye position as you missed so many - did you check your near zero ? According to my BRC it would be around 56yds with a scope height of 2". You said your zero checks were done using a bipod - were you using when the bipod in the field too ? Were you taking your time & staying on shot or rushing a bit if there were lots of bunnies appearing ?

this could be many things. Wind, peak of trajectory, lost zero ( loose mounts, a knock etc). Were you all over the place or missing into the same area? Could you not spot your shots? Paralax can be at fault if you were contorted and not looking directly through the scope however not so much at said ranges you might consistently miss just getting bad placements now and again.

Stupid stuff happens at times, I embarrassed myself with a clean miss this summer on an easy bunny- the rear mount was loose to the stage of being undone!

Had the same problem when I zeroed mine in at 100yds with the scope mounted fairly low. Crest of the trajectory was at about 50 and I was missing high. Now zero at 80, first zero is 50 and it doesn't rise any more than 1/4 inch above the sight line in between. Just allow for drop at longer range.

My Hmr is zeroed to 120yds which makes it around 3/4" high at 80yds and bang on again around 40yds. For bunny shooting its pretty much point and aim up to around 160yds after this I start looking at a mildot down.

That's very optimistic drop dope as zeroed another 10 yds further out again (130) your 2" low at (160) which is not really " point and aim" 40yds further again at (200) and your looking at 6 1/2" low. This is about the max for a hmr as with the norm 1.5" scope to bore peak trajectory runs about an inch high (85yds) that's a lot for a small quarry gun.

My Hmr is zeroed to 120yds which makes it around 3/4" high at 80yds and bang on again around 40yds. For bunny shooting its pretty much point and aim up to around 160yds after this I start looking at a mildot down.

My CZ with day scope is the same - my Browning has my N750 on & is set at 150yds as it sits 2.8" high.

well without wanting to sound rude, if you do understand this then why on earth would I be suggesting further out?...... " :rolleyes:"

80-90yds is where I zero mine, I see no point in zeroing further out if you then have to hold under inside this.

its comparable with zeroing a .22lr at 75yds just so your drop is less at 100

that is all well and good if you will never shoot anything inside 100yds but with rabbits? unlikely

plains game? sure. go ahead and zero at 300yds, you are unlikely to get closer than 200 and a slab sided Eland presents a much bigger target so a 2" high POI is not an issue