parkinsons disease

djgeoff

I had a made who didn't yet have full blown Parkinson's, but it later turned into it. He had muscle tremors, etc and was on relaxants.

Long story short, they didn't want to issue it. He chased the police about and go his Consultant backing him up, but they weren't happy about it. They didn't refuse it, but they told him it would be easier for him to just withdraw his application.

It was a shame as he only wanted it for Black powder reenactment, but because a SGC is so open they didn't want to risk him one day deciding to go clay pigeon shooting or something.

This was Liverpool Met, yours might be different.

There is nothing precluding you from a firearms or shotgun certificate with Parkinsons Disease itself. My father has it and still has his SGC. However the various combinations of drugs used to control the disease can cause side effects including hallucinations. With this in mind my father voluntarily transferred his shotguns to me so that no firearms are held in his property. This is more than likely what the firearms department will assess when deciding on an application either at renewal or if notified by your GP or Consultant.

Having seen someone die from Dementia, akin to, but not the same as Parkinson's, I can understand why it makes sense either to remove or not re-issue their FAC or SGC. After all, driver's licences are removed or refused for certain people without either of these diseases when they patently are not safe to be behind the wheel of a car due to infirmity or illness (e.g. the risk of heart attack).

If, as the police do, you have a public safety brief as your job description, why would you then knowingly allow someone with the symptoms of either disease hold a weapon where they hold the more than likely prospect of not being in control of their own faculties - potentially resulting in the intentional discharge of that weapon in the direction of other people?

It's bad enough when able-bodied shooters have a negligent discharge, but to place a gun in the hands of someone who cannot control their shooting safety discipline just seems insane.

thanks to all for your input on this,

reason for me asking is a relative of mine who i have not seen for years and only recently located him as asked to go shooting with me as he loves it. i do know he grew up and worked on a farm many years ago etc but has not had the opportunity to go out shooting again.

i have reason to believe he has a shotgun and of course a license, i have emailed him via his wife ( she has the email account) to find out exactly what he has gun & cert wise plus p/l insurance and i am awaiting reply.

as a younger lad many years ago he was a bit of jack the lad so i really need to careful but at the same time i don't want to offend him regard to his disability, i do know he can shoot is air rifle ok because he was keen to show me his new gun.

as he lives miles from me, ( cannock ) i was thinking of if someone on the forum if they could offer us ( i say us because i suppose it would be safer, in same hide) a day on the pigeons, but this all depends if he legal etc and if he does not have a shotgun or license whether it would be safe for him to shoot under my supervision.

i could bring him over my way but the cost in fuel and the time in running about would me less time in the field, plus if he feels unwell etc he would be nearer to home.

yeh in a way i feel for him because he is a great cousin to have and i thought it would be nice for him to do what he a loves to do.

i know he has given up his other interests, cars and fast bikes.

your thoughts please.

is it too risky?

• 2 weeks later...

It is a great shame this chap is ill, i feel for him. I would spend some time with him first to see if he is still fit and able to hold and fire a shotgun before taking this on. If you take him leave your gun at home and stay in the same hide to accompany him if any problems arise you can be quick to take the gun from him. My friends dad has parkinsons and he shoots, still holds a sgc the drugs he takes dont cause halucinations and his GP at the mo says he is safe to carry on and wrote to the police on his sgc renewal. But he has to see his GP every year to be passed fit to continue to hold his sgc by his GP stipulated by the police. But that time will come he has to call it aday.