A1 Kids intro to Shooting Clays Days

bakerboy

Yesterday saw the first "Kids Klays Day" at the A1 Shooting Ground.

Success can be measured in differing ways;

Numbers? I only had 8 youngsters turn up for the shoot, but then that was 8 who had never shot before, all of whom have booked for the next shoot.

The weather? temperature bordering zero tipping down with rain, who in their right mind would be out in that? my wife came to help with the paperwork (Certificates,gifts etc) and my grandson. After 40 minutes young Tim was cold through, he does not normally feel the cold, my wife's chair was slowly sinking in the mud, chin on table she decided it best to take young Tim home.

The Kids and their parents turned up in dribs and drabs, and went away contented, a couple came back for a second helping. Interestingly I had a number of new adult shooters walking around, they came on the stand and had ago and were appreciative of the help given, they also want to come again on the next day.

A number of other shooters did not know we were holding the event, which is planned for 2nd Sunday each month, (and then if succesful every other Sunday) and will be bringing their youngsters to the next one.

So all in all I am pleased we arranged the day and am looking forward to the next, just hoping for better weather.

I would like to thank BASC for the give aways which were very welcome and the kids liked them, as did the parents especially with the "Pocket guide to Shotgun Basics booklet" excellent little book this, explaining chokes, pattern, shooting methods and much more, and of course Claudio and Teresa at the A1 for their support.

I will let you all know how the next one goes, and maybe meet some of you and your families.

Terry

Edited by bakerboy

Having been out in the horizontal sleet yesterday with my kids I think eight is a very good start. I bet there was some pester-power going on that morning!

How old was your youngest shooter, Terry?

9 years old but governed by size

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, it is great being with kids.

What gauge and cartridge load did you shoot the very young ones with? I took my son to a 'taster'. He shot a 20 gauge 21g load, but found it a bit uncomfortable on his shoulder after 20 rounds or so.

I had 9mm / 410 in single barrel and O/U / 28g in single barrel and O/U / 20g O/U and S/A and various 12G for any bigger youngsters