First proper wildfowling trip...and last for this season!

Passionforangling

After my first trip to a marsh on Sunday as a spectator with Ben and Mike I was really looking forward to my evening flight with Tim from GWA who had very kindly offered to take me on a visiting pass. The difference this time was that I’d have a gun with me so was hoping for a shot if possible.

We met at Eastington about 4 O’clock and drove down to Frampton which is a stunning little village and one I made a mental note to take the wife to for a weekend sometime. We pulled into the car park and as we were getting the gear ready Richard (another GWA member) joined us and together we made our way towards the river. After a fairly straightforward walk we met up with Mark (another GWA member) and had a chat for about 20 minutes before we all set off to our respective holes in the mud.

Richard went back down river, Mark stayed in the middle and me and Tim went on for another 150 yards or so right in front of an attractive looking splash pond. A calm clear day with no wind about meant that conditions were not perfect but we were optimistic we might at least see something.

I found out that on this particular marsh you can’t shoot geese after 31st January and it seems the geese had set their clocks and knew they were safe as several greylags came near us over the next hour with some literally 20 yards above our heads! Tim was brilliant and taught me to recognise the call of widgeon and teal, both of which we could hear going along the river but sadly we didn’t see them. We did see some mallard and in fact Mark had a shot at one which carried on towards us but was way too high by the time it came over.

So, we didn’t shoot anything but I really enjoyed the trip again down from Warwickshire and have to say that in the last week I’ve met some great guys who have an obvious passion for wildfowling which is very infectious and that weekend I’m going to promise the wife in Frampton might earn me enough brownie points to get a suitable gun for this branch of shooting.

The pike fishing today in Coleshill was most enjoyable with just the one take and fluffed!!.....still a couple of weeks of that season left yet so hopefully that first 20lber will grace the bottom of my net

Thanks again to Tim for sorting out yesterday…a real nice guy…and a fisherman too (are all wildfowler’s anglers????)

When we met at the Shooting Show I could sense that you were keen to give shooting, and wildfowling in particular, a try.

You have chanced upon some decent chaps it seems who will no doubt show you the ropes on any future outings.

My question is, after some of the more pointed remarks in a previous post, do you want to share a 'mud hole' with Highbird70?

Glad you enjoyed your first trip out with the gun as well. If you join next season you will discover what a frustrating but rewarding branch of the sport Wildfowling is, the birds seem to normally be just out of range or fly past when you are unprepared :lol: .

But when it comes good like last Sunday the blanks and frustration are quickly forgotten. There is loads to learn about Wildfowling and i would probably say that i learn something new on most trips out, and as you found out it is not about the pulling of the trigger it's about the whole experience. There is always something memorable about time spent out on the marsh, whether there is anything in the bag or not.

Hope to see you next season.

Sounds that you had a really good night flight, its always nice to see birds around, for the shooting bit...ohhh welll...another reason to go back to the marsh and enjoy sunset or sunrise.

When we met at the Shooting Show I could sense that you were keen to give shooting, and wildfowling in particular, a try.

You have chanced upon some decent chaps it seems who will no doubt show you the ropes on any future outings.

My question is, after some of the more pointed remarks in a previous post, do you want to share a 'mud hole' with Highbird70?

Dear Mr. Jdog

Do you imply that I suffer of flatulence???....lol