tobago fishing

digger

got back at god knows what time this morning after a week in the caribean.

the fishing is amazing,the sea seems to boil with bait fish being chased by barras,king mackerel and all manner of predators.

i fished mainly from an old concrete pier using sabiki rigs to catch smaller fish which to tempt the bigger ones.had a fair amount of luck with some rappala lures fished deep and fast catching trevally up to five pounds.

it all changed when one of the locals gave me two kg of fresh whitebait.putting a couple on a size two hook and dropping it off the pier was like fishing in an aquarium with fish of all sizes and colours taking the bait.

got enough bait to start fishing for the big stuff and it was a fish a cast though every tarpon i hooked took line off the reel at a blistering pace,jumped a few times then shed the hook.i was snapped three times even though i was using a 50lb shock leader,they really do have that much power.

every day huge sting rays swum under the pier ( tackle bought in rapidly ! ) and tarpon up to 100lb rolled constantly.

truly a top holiday,good fishing,fantastic birdlife,ice cold carib beer,great weather and memories of my girls catching their first fish that will last a lifetime

That sounds like a superb trip. :)

I am very envious, having seen loads of tarpon, but never being lucky (or skilful) enough to get a hook-up.

My mate did a fair bit of tarpon fishing in the Keys...

Another one has been bone fish fishing..................another one has just got back from france after catching a 57lb common.....

GUTTED..