Chamber size?

Boogie

How do you tell what chamber size a gun is? Is it stamped on the barrel or do you need to stick a measuring tape down the breech and measure? I am interested in a Beretta 302, most I think are 2 3/4 inch but some are 3 inch. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the speedy replies. To follow up, I want this gun for the ducks, so I want to put 3 inch steel through it such as Gambore Mammoth 3" Magnum Steel Shot 3 shot 36 grammes, they state on this cartridge that the gun should be proofed to 1370 bar. I believe modern Berettas are proofed for this, but can you tell me if a Beretta 302 would be? I dont yet have the gun so I cant look at the barrel to see what it says, but if you could tell me what to look for, I can ask the owner to check. Thanks again.

Guest cookoff013

most likely not proofed for 1370bar.

but i would actually read the proof marks. as may have been re-proofed at some point. it wouldnt be unusual.

I don't know much about this but when I bought my 303 I was told it was made before they started stamping the steel proof mark (fleur de lis I beleve) on them. But I would be fine with steel shot if I didn't use any thing tighter than half choke. I havn't tried steel through it yet though. Maybe they just really wanted to sell me a gun!!! :/

Edited by marc147

None of the beretta a301/02/03 are proofed for HP steel shot (1370bar proof).

You can however use up to 32g of standard steel, shot size 4 or smaller providing the choke is no tighter than half. This will limit the species and range you can 'confidently' shoot at though.

(That's confidence in the cartridges ability to kill cleanly and effectively)

Edited by Wildfowler12

I don't know much about this but when I bought my 303 I was told it was made before they started stamping the steel proof mark (fleur de lis I beleve) on them. But I would be fine with steal shot if I didn't use any thing tighter than half choke. I havn't tried steal through it yet though. Maybe they just really wanted to sell me a gun!!! :/

I'm afraid you will need to BUY some steel cartridges rather than pinching them!

i use a urika with gamebore mammoths 36g 3s that say that and my gun not proofed to 1370bar however i rang gamebore and asked what the working pressure of that particular cartrige and they told me it had a working load of 850 bar rand the proof house and explain to them and they said that my gun will be fine been using them all season with no problems