Cartridge question...

Guest jonrms

Right details are as followed... after reading up and doing some homework... I need further help.

1 the gun is a winchester model 120-12 ga 2 3/4 & 3 inch.

3 inch mag.

its 4 tons per square inch.

now after reading up in sporting shooter.. I noticed that I may have been using the wrong cartridge... I have a mod choke on the SG as well. just FYI.

anyway... I was using Gamebore super game high bird... which is 32 gms and is 2 1/2 length 65mm oh and the load is 1 1/8

this means I am loosing 1/4 - 1/2 inch?:ernyha:

I have bought some gamebore clear pigeon cartridges... which are 30gms 2 3/4 length... load is 1 1/16

So I assume I should ditch the super game high bird carts.... because they will be rubbish.... and stick to gamebore's clear pigeon?:drinks:??

I dont want damaged shots.... and I want to have the full effect on my SG. I want the best pattern and according to Tim Woodhouse... if I continue to use the super game shots... it will only be a reduction in my density.

Can anyone help with such a mathmatical question....

:drinks: Don't worry about it Jonrms, it only becomes a factor when you use a longer cartridge in a short chamber, not the other way around. :ernyha:

If you really want to shoot 3" shells, then do so by all means, but as long as you hit the target 30grms will be more than sufficient

G.M.

Is this “Tim†selling 3"shells by any chance. :stupid:

According to the mag... which is why I asked.. it becomes a big problem if using shorter carts as well...

the pellets can melt.. horrible patterns.... unreliable shots.

I want the best out of my gun... so do I try and find a 3 inch cart? There is such a noticable differance between the two I already mentioned its not funny... when side by side.

Tim Woodhouse is on page 98 of this months sporting shooter... and explaining the need to have the right cart...

smaller and larger carts can cause various problems.. I was just hoping for a explanation.. and no he is not selling me carts... :ernyha:

Most modern sporting clay shooters will be using 2 3/4" carts in guns chambered for 3" shells, if it was that much of a problem we would all be using 3" shells.

I know sometimes an extra 1/4" might be desirable, but not in this case :ernyha::drinks:

According to the mag... which is why I asked.. it becomes a big problem if using shorter carts as well...

the pellets can melt.. horrible patterns.... unreliable shots.

Never heard anything like it in my life. :ernyha:

2½†shells can easily be shot in a 3†chamber, just as 2½†shells can be shot in a 2¾†chamber or 2†shells in a 2½†inch chamber.

The problem comes when you fire a 3†shell in a 2½†chamber, that’s when the chamber pressures increase and it becomes dangerous. :drinks:

I think that Mr Woodhouse is making a mountain out of a molehill. :stupid:

G.M.