.17hmr problem

jimmyb79

anyone clean the barrel with white spirits?i use it on the 22lr, the barrel shines after 3 pull throughs

Haven't tried it but I would have thought it would leave a residue. I can see the point of meths, its practically pure alcohol, but white spirit has low evaporation.

How many rounds has the Quad barrel had through it? Mine needed replacement after 8000-9000 rounds ish I don't keep a diary.

Brother also shot out his annie after a similar amount. We're both back on realiability now.

That's not a lot! A .22 lr can often exceed 100,000 as comparisom. I suspect it didn't actually shoot out but rotted out through less than effective maintenance or got beyond the point of normal cleaning meathods. I doubt there are more than a couple of HMRs in the UK that have done 25,000 rounds. I know a rifle smith that restored an old club .22 lr that was said to be shot out, it took two days of deep cleaning. I cannot accept such a short life from such a tiny amount of powder and 2400 fps, look at some .223 rem rifles pushing pills at 3000 or over with a massive amount more powder