.410 reloading

Hi Guys ,been reloading 12 gauge good few years but started 20 gauge last year and thinking of adding .410 to them due to savings on smaller gauge ,bought a rto hand tool but thinking about a MEC machine for crimp closure ,bought some primed .410 hulls and shot plus wads (plastic though s/h) looking for powder and fibre wads , I know Siarm do them and Clay and Game Uk ,is there a good all round powder I can use for loads from 2" to 3" mag and easily unervesally obtained ,can they post and are 209 primers ok ,looking for a reasonable digi scales too .

I read of one guy using brass .410 shells to reload but don,t know if they easy to use or how they seal the load ,do they work out better investment than plastic ?

Forgot to say I have some fiber wads to

2400 and 410 powder is a all round 410 powder and can get most gun shops

You can use psb2 / a1 / cbso powder i have data if you need it

If you are not loading 100s of shells I would load by hand and roll turnover

I have a set of scales

Are you selling them , with 12 gauge I ,ve stuck to Hercules powders but can,t get them anymore locally ,who makes 2400 powder ?

Guest cookoff013

Hi Guys ,been reloading 12 gauge good few years but started 20 gauge last year and thinking of adding .410 to them due to savings on smaller gauge ,bought a rto hand tool but thinking about a MEC machine for crimp closure ,bought some primed .410 hulls and shot plus wads (plastic though s/h) looking for powder and fibre wads , I know Siarm do them and Clay and Game Uk ,is there a good all round powder I can use for loads from 2" to 3" mag and easily unervesally obtained ,can they post and are 209 primers ok ,looking for a reasonable digi scales too .

I read of one guy using brass .410 shells to reload but don,t know if they easy to use or how they seal the load ,do they work out better investment than plastic ?

first, the .410 reloading is just like any other load, there are good recipes and bad.

the powder that sticks out are 296 - winchester, or hodgdons H110. those are the .410 "powders of choice" there are stacks of data, because it is the prefered powder for the little gauge. the .410, being most special, as the pressure maximum is quite high, to get your powder burning and giving up all that lovley energy.

the european equivalent would be SP3, and i suggest you research either of these powders. it will be better than any bodge job.

I thought buying a mec would do crimps on parr with factory reloading thats why I was opting for it ,nearly all bought in .410 shells are crimped ?

it will do just fine mine does I have made a set of adaptors to load 2.5 on the 3 inch setting make life easer will post some pics tomorrow

Mec sizemaster is the way to go not the junior adjustable charge bar is best as well

Deershooter

it will do just fine mine does I have made a set of adaptors to load 2.5 on the 3 inch setting make life easer will post some pics tomorrow

Mec sizemaster is the way to go not the junior adjustable charge bar is best as well

Deershooter

first, the .410 reloading is just like any other load, there are good recipes and bad.

the powder that sticks out are 296 - winchester, or hodgdons H110. those are the .410 "powders of choice" there are stacks of data, because it is the prefered powder for the little gauge. the .410, being most special, as the pressure maximum is quite high, to get your powder burning and giving up all that lovley energy.

the european equivalent would be SP3, and i suggest you research either of these powders. it will be better than any bodge job.

Can you also do 2" with the MEC and is the adjustable charge bar standard/included or an extra ?

got some data for Vectan A1 showing all shell lengths and 20 gauge is this any good ,how do you rate it ?

Opinions on these powders please as I only want to buy the best universal i.e. wide load range and if it will do 20 gauge as well all the better if not just a good multi load powder for .410 all length hulls , just bought some hulls in 2",2 1/2" and 3" to try few loads .

As these hulls are already primed how do I know how hot the primers are for the powder load ?

LilGun much good? I use it in the hornet and theres loads of data for it in the .410 for which it was developed

I use to use 2400, H110 and H4227. The 4227 was good for 3/4oz loads!

I tried 444marlin brass but it does not seem to develope pressure enough, maybe a faster powder was required but I just stuck to plastic hulls.

On new plastic a tool to feather the case mouth will help it fold a crimp.

90% of my loads were just 1/2oz of 7s. Plenty!

U.

2400 is good with 3/4 and 1/2 loads

Also used psb2 + a1 powder

I load 21/2 inch 1/2 oz loads most in 7 shot

And a few 76mm or 73mm. + I roll turnover most

I did crlmp some but they don't turn out that good

Very flat on the edges they look like a 50p shape

Edited by 00buck

I use to use 2400, H110 and H4227. The 4227 was good for 3/4oz loads!

I tried 444marlin brass but it does not seem to develope pressure enough, maybe a faster powder was required but I just stuck to plastic hulls.

On new plastic a tool to feather the case mouth will help it fold a crimp.

90% of my loads were just 1/2oz of 7s. Plenty!

U.

i rember reading that you can buy brass .410 cases but how do you finish them ,you can,t rto or crimp them ,I would have thought it tricky using a sealant as how do you judge enough without excessive pressure build up ?

Dont go down the brass case issue its just not worth it .

Wads dont fit, as the case walls are to thin you need special oversize wads and oversize overpowder cards oversize over shot cards, just buy new cases from siarm 65mm are less than £1,90 per 25 and are primed as well you can use plastic fiber or cork.

Deershooter

Edited by deershooter

Wads dont fit, as the case walls are to thin you need special oversize wads and oversize overpowder cards oversize over shot cards, just buy new cases from siarm 65mm are less than £1,90 per 25 and are primed as well you can use plastic fiber or cork.

Deershooter

Thanks for that info ,just looking on Siarm site so will add them to my order , then powder from Sportsman ,are the primed cases ok for posting though looked on C&G

and they specify primers by TNT only £30 per order delivery and powder seperate delivery only !

http://www.siarm.com/index.php?cPath=2_25_38_65

Deershooter

Been looking through the Siarm site all afternoon but can only find these and I,m at a loss which is best also why are the Cheddite ones so expensive,link above ?

Edited by welshwizard