New Silosocks at UK Shootwarehouse

mag-man

what are the sillosocks decoys made of.

corrigated platic board flock coating and a paper/plastic bag the type of thing you get things packed in i.e. the bag the remote comes in when you buy a television the beak is yellow paint and the white neck thing is a bit of plastic wrapped around the corrigated platic they do look really wierd and cheap and nasty,but if you look at a plastic shell decoys they proberly on cost a few pence to make so dont be put off by looks alone its what they do thats counts!!

if they work there worth every penny if they dont somone is making a fortune, advertising sells nothing else!

Take the material between two fingers, and pull it apart as hard as you can, wont break

I must agree with ronttuk these are not worth £45 a pair.

Tried mine on a rotary in admittedly gusty conditions the wings just turned back on themselves looked abysmal. Rang the sponsor up and the guy suggested I stop the rotary and use it as a bouncer i.e. stopped with the hydraflap facing the wind, seemed Ok but one wing definitely flaps more than the other.

I can't see the socket that the carbon fibre rod goes into lasting long, the stitching on one is peeling up after 2 outings. The top covering is just stapled on, the edges lifting in the wind.

Yesterday curiosity took me out again with just the decoys and having tried various positioning of the rod through the body, the wings flap better but one still seems faster than the other.

Having said the above, I am impressed with the Sillosocks Pigeon decoys, in the gusty conditions they filled out nicely and looked realistic bobbing and turning.

Just a shame there are so few pigeons about to lure in.

Use a speed controller, slow it down a bit, or extend the arms on your whirly, so that the speed on both wings is more or less the same (inner wing will always be slower), again try and slow it down to 35 to 45 rpm

corrigated platic board flock coating and a paper/plastic bag the type of thing you get things packed in i.e. the bag the remote comes in when you buy a television the beak is yellow paint and the white neck thing is a bit of plastic wrapped around the corrigated platic they do look really wierd and cheap and nasty,but if you look at a plastic shell decoys they proberly on cost a few pence to make so dont be put off by looks alone its what they do thats counts!!

if they work there worth every penny if they dont somone is making a fortune, advertising sells nothing else!

Take the material between two fingers, and pull it apart as hard as you can, wont break

Tried mine on a rotary in admittedly gusty conditions the wings just turned back on themselves looked abysmal. Rang the sponsor up and the guy suggested I stop the rotary and use it as a bouncer i.e. stopped with the hydraflap facing the wind, seemed Ok but one wing definitely flaps more than the other.

I can't see the socket that the carbon fibre rod goes into lasting long, the stitching on one is peeling up after 2 outings. The top covering is just stapled on, the edges lifting in the wind.

Yesterday curiosity took me out again with just the decoys and having tried various positioning of the rod through the body, the wings flap better but one still seems faster than the other.

Having said the above, I am impressed with the Sillosocks Pigeon decoys, in the gusty conditions they filled out nicely and looked realistic bobbing and turning.

Use a speed controller, slow it down a bit, or extend the arms on your whirly, so that the speed on both wings is more or less the same (inner wing will always be slower), again try and slow it down to 35 to 45 rpm

Even on a floater/bouncer so the wind speed should be the equal over both wings, one wing flaps faster than the other.

The magnet is used with a speed controller, which made no difference to the wings turning over.

pigeon shooting is primarily a winter past time, the hydra flaps are unfortunately not suited to blustery winter days

Even on a floater/bouncer so the wind speed should be the equal over both wings, one wing flaps faster than the other.

The magnet is used with a speed controller, which made no difference to the wings turning over.

pigeon shooting is primarily a winter past time, the hydra flaps are unfortunately not suited to blustery winter days

Did you not get the two spars with your Hypa Flaps? One spar is thin, the other thick. The thin one is for still to slight breeze, the thicker spar (reddy-brown clour) is for heavier winds.... Mag-Man had his going in about 10-15mph wind when he was with me. Pehaps they forgot to send out the thick spar??? If your using the thin spar then no-doubt you will have some problems.

Did you not get the two spars with your Hypa Flaps? One spar is thin, the other thick. The thin one is for still to slight breeze, the thicker spar (reddy-brown clour) is for heavier winds.... Mag-Man had his going in about 10-15mph wind when he was with me. Pehaps they forgot to send out the thick spar??? If your using the thin spar then no-doubt you will have some problems.

i only got 1 spar for each bird for the wings a very thin piece of carbon by the look of it, should i of got two then??

I only got one with mine, just an oversight i am sure

whilst i have not tested the flapper, the socks pull in what few birds have been out in the open so my early results are that they are effective, they are also surprisingly visible from a long way off i went walk about and could clearly see them in poor light from 2 fields away so with that in mind i guess the birds can as well

Ive bought 5 of each decoys and the hyper flaps they look great on the dvd i was a bit disapionted with build quality and materials.

I cant see £45 in the hyper flaps i recon they cost 3 copies of an old blue peter programe some sticky tape an old inner from a toilet roll and mums washing up liquid bottle when its empty. :P:lol:

But if they work its worth the money i suppose,i do think they will be on fleabay soon for about £20 a pair or if they dont work about £5 a dozen. :shout:

only time will tell on these but gadget freaks like me waste £1,000s on the next lastest greatest gaget so when the hyper super dupa all time flapping winking breading gauranteed suicide decoy comes out these will have to do unless i think there **** and go back to the good ole shells,, :lol:

ronttuk

I guess you have to bear in mind the price you pay for any product is not just based on the build cost plus a profit margin, but how the product became available in the first place. The more R&D and testing involved the higher the cost needs to be to re coupe time and effort (which is not free) once the product is on the market. In this case i suspect that has been considerable, I don’t know of other deek manufactures looking into light spectrums etc. If it works it works, years ago i used to buy cheap carts, it took me a while to appreciate that spending a little more put more birds on my plate,

Its early doors just now and I hope the deeks I have will last a good while, a lot of our kit started life in Highlanders workshop and if he could get local kids to knock out deeks in art lessons as affective for less he would be on the case :lol::lol:;)

pavman,

i just hope you are right and they do work,as i said if they work there worth the money if they were 20p each and dont work there not worth the money. :lol:

but i do think they are crudely made even they work or not ,

if i sold a fishing reel that could cast 20,000 yards but still looked poorly made it would sit on the shelf untill tested and proven by quite a few people,then no doubt it would outsell everything else in its class,

as i said only time will tell and gadget freaks like me are always willing to try new things,if we didnt everything would sit on the shelf forever. :shout:

Will sent me a pair to try on the magnet

Ive used these twice now mainly to try them as there were no pigeons about it was while i was set up for shooting crows.

The first time only a slight breeze my mate who was in the hide with me thought they were the dogs dangley bits there worked that well.

The second time there was quite a good wind blowing and the wings kept turning over on them selves it was that bad after 1/2 an hour and getting out of the hide to sort them out 6-7 times we took then in and packed up.

I still think in the right conditions ( slight wind )they will work OK just not to sure when it is really windy....... :lol::lol:

I might be doing something wrong when setting them up.. :shout::lol::lol:

pavman,

i just hope you are right and they do work,as i said if they work there worth the money if they were 20p each and dont work there not worth the money. :P

but i do think they are crudely made even they work or not ,

if i sold a fishing reel that could cast 20,000 yards but still looked poorly made it would sit on the shelf untill tested and proven by quite a few people,then no doubt it would outsell everything else in its class,

as i said only time will tell and gadget freaks like me are always willing to try new things,if we didnt everything would sit on the shelf forever. :shout:

Have you tried pulling them apart between your fingers? The only way you can damage em is with somthing sharp. Also think of how you can compact them in your bag. No more need for a massive bag, 10 socks packed takes up as much space and weighs as much as one shell. You would've thought that dead birds in cradles made the best decoys, well if you check my previous post's, you will see that the sock's out did em, as I compared them with two differant layouts.

Will sent me a pair to try on the magnet

Ive used these twice now mainly to try them as there were no pigeons about it was while i was set up for shooting crows.

The first time only a slight breeze my mate who was in the hide with me thought they were the dogs dangley bits there worked that well.

The second time there was quite a good wind blowing and the wings kept turning over on them selves it was that bad after 1/2 an hour and getting out of the hide to sort them out 6-7 times we took then in and packed up.

I still think in the right conditions ( slight wind )they will work OK just not to sure when it is really windy....... :lol:;)

I might be doing something wrong when setting them up.. :lol::lol::lol:

Bud, try slowing it down slightly in the windier conditions, worked for me. I actually thought they look a lot more real in the wind, cause they flap for the 180 degrees into the wind, the other 180 they glide with the wind, makes it look like they gonna land. :P

As others have said you DO need to play round with the speed of rotation to get it right, you DO need to play around with the positioning of the bird on the arm, and YES there should be two rods with them. Dont know whats going on but perhaps Sarah's run out of the thick rod and is planning to send the thick rods on later once they come in. Thats my guess I'll ask her later and get back to you on this.

For those who are whining about the price I dont think your being very fair so lets put things in perspective. If you look at the Foamie Flying Pigeons we sell they sell at £25 each or £40 a pair. Our competitors sell them for much more than this AND THEY DONT FLAP. So in my opinion the Hypa Flaps represent excellent value compared with existing products from ourselves and they blow the competitors away price-wise and feature-wise. Add on the fact that they WORK bloody well because they are UV PAINT ENHANCED ( think about it...NOBODY has this yet in the UK apart from US and it DOES work). One client shot another bag of 82 on some drilled Beans using the Hypa's yesterday and this is in poor conditions with so many Acorns around, so imagine how well these will work when the birds are keen to feed. I have seen this for myself firsthand and the UV and the ultra rapid movement is a killer.

Now as for the construction, YES they are made from corrugated plastic which may seem cheap/flimsy but mine are lasting out well and if anyone can break things I CAN!! Jeeeeezus....we make things nice and light and you moan, if we made it like like a brick sh1thouse then you'd moan it was too heavy!!!!!

For those of you interested in a very well timed article on birds and Ultra Violet then you need to check out The Field magazine page 20. Its quite technical in places but proves that birds see and use UV very heavily throughout their feeding and breeding activity.

As always I am open to suggestions on how to improve our products if you think there's room for improvement or we've missed something.

As others have said you DO need to play round with the speed of rotation to get it right, you DO need to play around with the positioning of the bird on the arm, and YES there should be two rods with them. Dont know whats going on but perhaps Sarah's run out of the thick rod and is planning to send the thick rods on later once they come in. Thats my guess I'll ask her later and get back to you on this.

For those who are whining about the price I dont think your being very fair so lets put things in perspective. If you look at the Foamie Flying Pigeons we sell they sell at £25 each or £40 a pair. Our competitors sell them for much more than this AND THEY DONT FLAP. So in my opinion the Hypa Flaps represent excellent value compared with existing products from ourselves and they blow the competitors away price-wise and feature-wise. Add on the fact that they WORK bloody well because they are UV PAINT ENHANCED ( think about it...NOBODY has this yet in the UK apart from US and it DOES work). One client shot another bag of 82 on some drilled Beans using the Hypa's yesterday and this is in poor conditions with so many Acorns around, so imagine how well these will work when the birds are keen to feed. I have seen this for myself firsthand and the UV and the ultra rapid movement is a killer.

Now as for the construction, YES they are made from corrugated plastic which may seem cheap/flimsy but mine are lasting out well and if anyone can break things I CAN!! Jeeeeezus....we make things nice and light and you moan, if we made it like like a brick sh1thouse then you'd moan it was too heavy!!!!!

For those of you interested in a very well timed article on birds and Ultra Violet then you need to check out The Field magazine page 20. Its quite technical in places but proves that birds see and use UV very heavily throughout their feeding and breeding activity.

As always I am open to suggestions on how to improve our products if you think there's room for improvement or we've missed something.

Hi Will the only improvement i can think of at the moment is send me some bloody birds and stop hogging them all :shout::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you look at the Foamie Flying Pigeons we sell, they sell at £25 each or £40 a pair. Our competitors sell them for much more than this AND THEY DONT FLAP.

Add on the fact that they they are UV PAINT ENHANCED ( think about it...NOBODY has this yet in the UK apart from US and it DOES work).

Well put Will :shout: