Black Spots in Barrels

Churchill

Recently my local gun shop ran out of my usual Gamebore 12g ammunition, so i picked up some Lyavale Express Super Comps 28g No 8 Plastic Wads.

Anyway after putting a couple of hundred through the Beretta, i got home and cleaned the gun as usual and when i inspected the Barrels i noticed some black spots about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the barrels. So i went at it with some bore cleaner and the old phosphor bronze brush but they wouldn't shift.

I took the gun to my gun shop today for him to take a look at and he said he has seen it before but not quite sure what causes it, he did asked me if i use fibre wad ammunition to which the answer was no. He told me the only way of shifting the black spots is 40 wire wool wrapped around the Jag, He kindly gave me the said wire wool from his workshop free of charge, so when i got home i mopped out my barrels with 009 Nitro Powder Solvent and left it to sit for a while and then started scrubbing the barrels with the wire wool tightly wrapped around the Jag to make a tight fit, It must have taken me 30 to 40 minutes of cleaning to shift them.

The barrels are now back to their mirror like shine as per normal. The gun is a 27 year old Beretta S687 and I've probably put in excess of 100,000 carts through it over the years.

So i'm calling upon the wealth of knowledge on this forum, has anyone come across this before ? The only thing i can think of is the Express Ammunition.

Regards,

Churchill

I get something similar on my guns with plas wads only,usually steel shot also. but this is just after the chamber,and I very much suspect its plastic from the plas wad coating the barrel due to heat and pressure. I personally use a bronze brush wd40 and put the rod in a battery drill and polish the bores up. But never goes much more than 3" past the chamber into the bore.

I get something similar on my guns with plas wads only,usually steel shot also. but this is just after the chamber,and I very much suspect its plastic from the plas wad coating the barrel due to heat and pressure. I personally use a bronze brush wd40 and put the rod in a battery drill and polish the bores up. But never goes much more than 3" past the chamber into the bore.

Yes that's the usual plastic residue just in front of the chamber, a bit of solvent and phosphur bronze brush shifts that, but these were jet black spots stuck 1/3 of the way down the barrels.

Thanks for your reply

Strangely I've had a very similar problem with these carts. They were on special at a local dealer and I bought 500 of them.

They were absolutely manky!!!!!

You could see black debris coming out of the barrels, greenish residue around the breech end of the barrels and receiver and the barrels themselves looked like they'd been used as a chimney for a paper fire, lots of black flakes along the whole length.

The other lads couldn't believe the state of it.

I also got a couple of black spots which would not shift with legia/jag/phoshor/napier solvent. It took about a hundred carts of a cleaner fibre version put through it to shift it!!

Needless to say I've stocked up on Eley firsts, which were always spotless for me, for when I use the last two boxes up (yes I'm counting them down!!)

Joe

Probably powder burning off in the barrels after each shot causing the tar like marking on the surface.

Wouldn't worry to much if you clean your gun after every outing any staining left in will shift when you change to different carts.

I've had it in the past and just shot it away.

Figgy

I'm glad its not just me then. It was bloody cold when i was shooting and this occurred. I did a comp last week and used the express ammo and at the end of the day the barrels were manky but i didn't have any black spots that i had before.

Thanks for your comments guys, Just like Joe1978 i'm counting them down as i got 500 of them, then i'll switch back to the old Gamebore.