Adult dogs.

gorin

Hi people, I Have a query in anyone can help, I have to springers, one being 10 and the other 4. Over the last few years I have go very much into shooting and love the sport. What I was wondering is are my dogs to old to train to retrieve birds, any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Any training always starts with basic obedience , which at four years old your dog should have anyway .

Spaniels have a natural instinct to hunt so that should not be a problem .

The thing you need to work on is your dog returning to you whenever you call it .

Once it will do that the work on some retrieving , using a dummy first then moving on to cold game and finishing with just shot stuff.

There are plenty of books on the subject , but obviously they mostly concern training a dog from a puppy , I can recommend training spaniels by joe irving should be some on amazon or ebay.

thanks for the replys, she is a pritty obedient dog and always comes straight back as soon as i call but my worry is she is not a very playfull dog when it comes to throwing and fetching but maybe thats cause the older dog always gets it first she maybe different out on her own i wonder i will have to get a dummy and try her, do you use any kind of scent on the dummys to get her used to the smell of the pigeons ?

I'd try and join a local gundog training class or something if possible. Otherwise loads of books out there or even dvd's.

Start with the boring stuff the basics and get ur dog used to whistle commands trying to build up to a stop command at distance no matter wot, it just takes time and perseverance

It really doesn't matter wot it retrieves, wether it is a tennis ball, proper dummy or a toy(althou squeaky toy's are a no no, as could encourage to crush game, hard mouth) as long as comes straight back to u.

I'm sure tere will be other threads on here covering basic training, intro to whistle and training stop commans plus intro to shot. Just take it small steps and work away