2 PSG guys at AGL/Broomhills on Sunday morning. Are you on here?

huffhuff

Not sure if you are on here, but If you were the two chaps shooting at AGL (old brromhills) on Sunday, drop me a PM. Both had semi's (oooh errr) and one guy dreds under a hat with red jacket.

Cheers

huff-huff-a-roo

Still bugging you, eh?! :)

To be fair tho it wasn't a great shining example of the PSG world, let alone semiauto safety.

To be fair tho it wasn't a great shining example of the PSG world, let alone semiauto safety.

Care to tell the rest of us more?

In my experience, PSGers have excellent gun-handling skills. If this were *not* the case, I'd be a bit concerned...

Regards,

Mark.

Ha. It wasn't quite that bad and I know I'm a bit anal about safety when it comes to semi autos.

I must say from the start, I actually shoot PSG and have a 10-shot semi myself so I'm in no way anti PSG. Quite the opposite. As mentioned above, the very vast majority of PSG folk I know have impeccably safe gun control at all times. They actually go above and beyond reasonable means if I'm honest. At the end of a course of fire, the unloading/making safe regime is strict and thorough (all elements under the watchful eye of a safety/range officer)! You also have to take a two day safety course before you can join most clubs and shoot at comp level.

There were three chaps with semi's (ooh errrr misses) one of which was a 6+1 FAC. The other 2 were standard 3 shot. The guy with the FAC had clearly undertaken a proper (UKPSA) safety course. Perfect muzzle awareness, gun tucked in tight to the arm, held at the grip with breach flag clearly visible and barrels pointing skyward vertically (I actually point mine to the ground). At the end of shooting, he'd rack the action a few times, visibly check the chamber, gun down range and pull the trigger before applying the safety. This chap - I have not one problem with and it was quite a pleasant surprise to see.

The other two - I nearly dived for cover a few times. Walking between stands with guns held at the breach horizontally. Fair enough, they had flags in but their hands were covering breach so flags so not visible. Is gun loaded or not? I don't know - what I do know is there are a couple of barrels pointing at me! Now, I wasn't going to have a go at them, but merely offer some advice along the lines of join a proper PSG club that is UKPSA affiliated and I was going to give them contact details of a local PSG ground (as I overheard them saying there was nowhere close).

I can't be sure, but I'm fairly confident that the old broomhills 'PSG' layout wasn't UKPSA registered. I'm sure I even heard they could only ever load 3 down the spout anyway (that might not be true) so you wouldn't even get the true experience. PSG is bloody good fun and very safe, teaches you many techniques not normally employed in 'normal' clay shooting. I genuinely wanted to let them know there are better places to be doing it and not to mope about AGL taking the PSG element away.

So, if you are on here then please do PM and i'll send you contact details of a club :) I'm not trying to preach or be all holier than thou, but there is no excuse for poor gun safety, muzzle awareness and general shooting etiquette. On this occasion I think it's just a case of them not knowing any better and picking up bad habits.

Edited by huffhuff

I started at broomhills by doing the PSG course and safety was a big thing, we were taught properly and guns were always checked clear after every round so I am surprised by this to say the least , section one could use whatever capacity their gun held and were not restricted to 3 rounds either , at 40p a clay it definatly wasn't me there Sunday though !

I started at broomhills by doing the PSG course and safety was a big thing, we were taught properly and guns were always checked clear after every round so I am surprised by this to say the least , section one could use whatever capacity their gun held and were not restricted to 3 rounds either , at 40p a clay it definatly wasn't me there Sunday though !

Oh ok, I did say I couldn't verify that bit :) I'm glad they insisted on some level of safety training. Again, by no means was it the worst safety i've ever seen, but they could do with a refresher (or maybe they weren't even ex broomhills members).