STALKING HELP AND ADVICE

Robin23

I am considering taking up deer stalking but would like some help and advice from an expert before I commit fully. I have held a shotgun licence for many years, have done lots of rough shooting and driven game birds.

I have had a couple of paid stalking days in Hampshire but would like to try somewhere locally. The way I see it is that I can't get my firearms licence unless I have land to shoot on. The trouble is I don't have the land or know where to begin. Would be happy to tag along to watch and ask questions etc.

I live in Daventry Northants and happy to commute half hour or so.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome, i am not an expert by any means but if you have paid stalking that is good reason for a firearms licence, you need to keep any receipts as proof and if possible a number for the stalking agent, all adds to evidence of stalking for your feo.

Good luck.

S

Hi and welcome,

I am 5 miles from you, I know of no paid stalking within an hours drive. Wish there was.

Bob Smith (our FEO) may be able to steer you in the right direction as he stalks quite a bit.

To get a ticket all you need to do is book a couple of days with BASC, down in Thetford would be easiest, send the booking receipt copy with your application. Apply for a factory caliber as one of the BASC rules is no reloaded ammo, rather kills my 6PPC !!.

I have been to Scotland, Somerset and Kent/Surrey but nothing close by. If you find something let me know please.

Roe are getting here, I have seen a doe on my ground over a year ago and some Roe slots this winter, otherwise all I have is the same handful of Munties that I had 45 years ago.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Yes, if you book with someone for stalking and intend to do so in the future,this is good reason to have a F.A.C. for that purpose granted.Also try and book it where the land is passed for higher calibres such as .308 30-06,300Wmag etc, as you won't have problems with limits on what calibre you can apply for then.

You should be able to get a deer calibre rifle for stalking if you do paid stalks, some forces will try to push you into doing your DSC1 which isnt a bad idea anyway. It also depends on how many pennies you have to throw at it, leases and syndicates do come up if you look in the right place. It would be good if you had permission to shoot on a piece of land passed for the calibre you intend to get in respect to zeroing the rifle, that way you could get a bit of practice in and enjoy your rifle. Be warned though, deer stalking has exploded as a pastime in recent years and its a dog eat dog world out there, finding a route to free shooting is tough and you have to rely on a huge chunk of luck.

Good luck with it.

Edited by Redgum