Steel Appeal - SG (page 6)

Wildfowler12

I've just read the Steel Shot article on page 6 of the June Sporting Gun. I am a fan of steel, and I'm a firm believer of it's effectiveness when appropriate loads are used. But the guy in the article is using a 16gram load of number 6s in his 28bore for flighting Canada's and Greylag. He then goes on to say he shot a fox with the same load on a driven pheasant day.

Now I'm not saying that this is rubbish, and i'm sure the loads mentioned are more than capable of bringing the birds down, but surely the magazine shouldn't be promoting light loads for quarry of that size?

I was shocked and quite disgusted when I read it. He reckons the shots where over 35yards and the goose was hit it the head and neck! I can't imagine that steel 6's would do much damage to vitals if the bird was shot in the body.

I wouldn't use steel 6s on any live animal over 35yards tbh.

A few to many cowboys read this and think 'well if he can do it with that at 35...I use 3 and half inch SUPER magnum I must be able to do em at....

some ranges I have seen people popping at geese are unbelievable. Even if lead was still in use!

Guest cookoff013

I've just read the Steel Shot article on page 6 of the June Sporting Gun. I am a fan of steel, and I'm a firm believer of it's effectiveness when appropriate loads are used. But the guy in the article is using a 16gram load of number 6s in his 28bore for flighting Canada's and Greylag. He then goes on to say he shot a fox with the same load on a driven pheasant day.

Now I'm not saying that this is rubbish, and i'm sure the loads mentioned are more than capable of bringing the birds down, but surely the magazine shouldn't be promoting light loads for quarry of that size?

http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/homefeature/535631/Home_loading_Steel_Shot_cartridges_to_save_poundpoundpoundpound.html

now, as a decoyed bird cartridge they are fine. but i`m betting for goose, he must have pricked some. must have.

i know there are those who buy a box of steel 7s then go wildfowling for the grand price of £2.50, but shoot just 2 shells a go, wildfowling for 20p a session. then saying "i only shoot for the head"

thats legal. not terrably sporting.

when i design a shell, i`m not thinking how to stuff a shell, i think about what the application is, then work around that.

I was shocked and quite disgusted when I read it. He reckons the shots where over 35yards and the goose was hit it the head and neck! I can't imagine that steel 6's would do much damage to vitals if the bird was shot in the body.

There is nothing wrong with what Mr Brigham was doing. My problem would be that he was shooting the birds and not killing them.

I get the impression he is a good shot and is obviously going for head and neck shots. In the article, he adds that you should remember your own capabilities as well as that of your weapon and shot. He also added that his 35 yard goose may have been a lucky shot.

When I read the article I had a good idea something would be said here on PW.

35 yards with 16gr no6 steel on a goose is just a daft thing to put in a magazine purely because of the reasons already mentioned. I am not knocking steel, even 16gr of lead is daft IMO. I always thought thought that with a good 12 bore 2 3/4" no3 lead load 30-35 yards would be coming up for maximum range for me and I would have said a good 3" 50g BB lead load through 1/2 or 3/4 maybe up to 50 yards. These are just ranges that I feel comfortable shooting at. I have shot geese a lot further than 50 yards away when the goose fever was running high and desperation had set in but thinking back I would think that more geese flew off with pellets sticking in them than what fell to the ground. This is what I would worry about using 16gr no6, nail them in the head and neck every time and alls well, but how many can do that, I sure wish I could.

ok,

just read the whole article, i still think the #6 steel is unsuitable for game.

i gotta admit, it smells fishy.

how can #4 shot still be "just ok" to shoot at clays, and amazingly the #6 steel be awsome at shooting geese? something doesnt ad up, even at 35yards.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CPSA_Booklet_5.pdf

I'm not sure what the cpsa rules regarding steel shot has to do with anything.

I know plenty who have killed geese with no.4 steel. That wouldn't be my first choice, but they are certainly capable of doing the job at reasonable range.

At no point in the article did the writer claim that 6 steel is awesome on geese, though i have no doubt that a head/neck shot at 35 yards will still kill one.

Guest cookoff013

I'm not sure what the cpsa rules regarding steel shot has to do with anything.

I know plenty who have killed geese with no.4 steel. That wouldn't be my first choice, but they are certainly capable of doing the job at reasonable range.

At no point in the article did the writer claim that 6 steel is awesome on geese, though i have no doubt that a head/neck shot at 35 yards will still kill one.

that isnt really th point, how many guys now are going to put together "#6 shot is ace" then start shooting geese with that load in either 10, 12 bore, let alone 28bore.

the irony is, the wad manufacturers refused to make a 28gauge and .410 wad for steel shot because the payload and shotsize selection is poor choice.

that and the fact #6 shot in steel is the maximum shotsize for even 20gauge steel, as stipulated by the CIP.. this is to do with shotweight and bore guidelines, the american stuff is different still. but thats 20gauge 3" stuff.

the 28gauge never became a 3" shell.

the listing that #6 steel is ok to use at clay doesnt mean its suitable for goose. but for the ill educated. (and i really mean ill educated) they will take that as full face, if he can hit a goose with#6 so can i. i`m already trying to explain to new reloaders who want to shoot crazy stuff, like nails, nuts, bolts, washers, gravel, tarmac and stones. that it isnt great idea.

in in a amazing scenario are we using goose loads to shoot clays??

i am not saying the #6 cant be used but, in this age where we have learned to go up a few shotsizes, we are now going backwards. that this amazing #6 can kill anything. on pigeon its one thing, goose another.

there are some guys who go out with #7s and kill geese, i wouldnt even say that is ethical, its not even a cost issue, its guys buying "steel" in any format and using that.

the 28gauge is a fine gun, but should remail subject to the more effective non toxics, then it would do the gauges proud.