Sending a shotgun to France

I think you will find there is no equvilant to our "Shotgun Licence" in France.

There is a requirement for a "Hunting Licence" which involves both theory and practical test of all aspects of weapon handling, safety and quarry species including breeding season, identification etc. This is a legal requirement if you a resident in France and intend to go hunting. However it is not required to own a firearm. The only weapons not permitted are rifles that are chambered for one of the military calibres. You would be wise to check with customs & your FEO on moving the guns out of the UK but I think you will find there is no licence as such to own a gun if you are resident in France.

JJsDad

Pretty accurate regards the 'Permit de Chasse' or 'Hunting Licence' .

For shotguns and indeed rifles of non military caliber and non semi-auto you can have either a FFBT or FFIT which are the equivalent of a 'Clay sport' licence and a rifle/ pistol licence.

Weapons are split into 8 catagories with pistols and semi-auto rifles/shotguns and military caliber in cat 1or 4 which are available to 'Club' members( usually after a period of six months with regular attendance) subject to gaining a nice little piece of green paper to take to your local police which if agreed by them plus the local regional council allows some lovely items sadly not avail in the UK anymore.

Other rifles and shotguns fall in category 5 or 7 and are freely available if you have one of the permits listed above.

And the really odd bit, Black powder weapons are on free sale (well a passport that's all).

As for permanently exporting the shotgun from the original OP then that is not as easy as just taking it on a European Firearms Passport anymore as the 'father' is resident there so it's a case of obtaining an Export Permit? Am sure one of the many dealers who frequent this forum can advise.

Jay

I sold a gun to a lad in Sweden 2 years ago, I had to apply for an export licence , this isn't too difficult , but you have to open an account with this govt. department https://www.spire.bis.gov.uk/eng/fox/espire/LOGIN/login

Then you have to fill in about 4 pages of forms , you can do this online. The lad in Sweden had to apply for an import licence , and I had to show proof of this to get the export licence . I'm assuming you would need to do the same thing for France . It will take a few weeks and maybe a few phone calls to get sorted, but it can be done .

Good luck !