Pigeon flight lines

njc110381

I've been sitting around a bit at the farm looking for pigeons, but haven't really spotted enough to say I have found a flight line. I'd like to get it mapped out so I can put some decoys down hopefully. Do you think there is just a shortage of pigeons, or am I missing something? The only ones I see are coming in to roost in the oaks that are in the mature hedges. I'm shooting at dusk at the moment, as it seems to be the only time I see enough to wait for! Last winter, there were more about :shout:

njc,

It's very difficult to decoy birds down off a flightline, as they're already committed to flying on to where they know there is food. You are wasting your time trying to decoy them down onto fields that they have no interest in. You may get the odd one or two, but you will be very frustrated by the thousands that fly past and completely ignore your set up.

One exception to this rule is if it is very windy the birds will fly low and great sport can be had by taking them as they fly past, again, decoys will not help you much, as pigeons use trees or pylons as navigational aids and if you watch the flightline for a few minutes, you'll soon suss out the best place to stand.

The trick is to follow the flightline and find out where the birds are feeding, and decoy them there. If they happen to be feeding on land you don't yet shoot over, approach the farmer in person, smartly dressed, and ask if you can keep the pigeons off his field "for a day".

Most farmers will tell you that they already have regular guys to shoot the pigeons, but many will let you on for one day, as no farmer likes to see pigeons damaging his crops.

Good luck,

Cat.