Lyman Cutts Compensator +choke tube info

mike-b

good evening people of Pigeon Watch i found it near impossable finding out info on the chokes available for the the cutts compensator on my remington 1100 skeet but after 2 years research i hit gold in the form of an old lyman brochure that listed all the available chokes so thought id share what i found! sorry if it has already been said!

so i hope this helps anybody wondering!!!!

the lyman cutts compensator (with no choke)

barecompensator_zpsa909bea4.jpg

the choke tube removal wrench

lymans12gwrench_zps419e4f07.jpg

il start in size order with the chokes going trom most open to tightest

spreader : this is the most open choke (and useless with normal shot , meant for use with sold slugs)

spreaderchoke_zps197df5eb.jpg

Improved Cylinder: size .755

improvedcylinder_zps16933114.jpg

the same length as spreader but a tighter exit hole

and next to the spreader choke

spreaderandimpcyl_zps830d6752.jpg

Modified choke: size .725

longer and tighter than imp cylinder

modchokemarkings_zpsc3e99a82.jpg

and next to imp cyl

impcylandmodchoke_zps8ed9a1a1.jpg

Full Choke: size .705 same length as mod but tighter exit hole

fullchokemarkings_zps58901ce9.jpg

fullchoke_zps624ac293.jpg

Long range number 3: size .690

longer than full choke and tighter

longrange3markings_zps7735df6e.jpg

and next to full choke

fullchokeandlongrangenumber2_zps0cf32fe3

Long range number 2: size .680

same length as lr # 3

longrange2markings_zps4cb352f4.jpg

and long range number 2 fitted to compensator

compensatorandlongrangenumber2_zpsec3be6

now that concludes the 6 original choke tubes that came with the compensator but there is one more added a little later down the line and here it is (drum roll pleese)

Lyman cutts adjustable choke tube: same length as mod tube

lymancuttsadjustablechoke_zps7e87a0af.jp

and fully extended

adjustablechokefullyextended_zpsb25b7af5

adjustablefullyadjustedinnershot_zpsb2fd

now im not sure what this goes from and to? but at a guess id say imp cyl-mod ? (this really dosn't pattern at all well and is purely in the collection as a collectors piece!)

and a pic of gun with the cutts compensator and long range number 2

remington1100withcuttscompensatorandlong

and the complete set including rare adjustable choke tube!

thewholefamilyadjustable_zps032f7f07.jpg

i managed to find the choke tubes all on ebay usa and had them all shipped over here if anybody is after them? there not cheap though the 5 i brought probably set me back £400 (thats the imp cylinder,mod,long lr#2,lr#3 and adjustable)

now the twist in the story!!!!!!!!!!

for my gun and i suspect everybodys elses the markings i.e mod, improved cylinder etc mean nothing !!!!

i had the inside diameter of my barrel measured by my local gunsmith (philip webster, who is a legand i cant recomend him enough he is based in attlebrough,norfolk) and he worked out exactly what the chokes ment (aprox) in relation to my barrel and the results were as follows:

my barrel inside diameter : .732

imp cyl .755 is in fact = no choke fully open barrel

mod .725 is in fact = imp cyl

full .705 is in fact 3/4 choke

long range #3 .690 is in fact = full

long range #2 .680 is in fact = extra full

so dnt buy a choke tube thinking its what it says it is as it will be diffrent with each internal barrel diameter get it measured before you buy one and the numbers on the choke tube will help you work out how it will relate to your gun!!!!

i hope this is of some help :) :)

oh and the last bit of info:

spreader + imp cyl and mod choke tube available in aliuminium and steel

full + lr#2 and 3 only available in steel!

* all info from a lyman cutts brochure except the lower info which came from my gunsmith!

I had a High Standard Supermatic Trophy with Cutt's and a Selectachoke on - Managed to find out it was made around 1965/6 - As usual with single bar actions they turn out to be a weak point- Mine also failed to load next shell and after a lot of checking it turned out to be lifter actuator was so worn the lifter was stopping over 1/8th inch short of barrel breech - managed to get a better second hand actuator which improved feeding significantly. - I recon this gun had about the best bolt lockup system of any semi auto I have owned - no way that I could see would bolt lock break.

The barrel on this gun isn't removable - only by a gunsmith - to take it apart to clean it you unscrewed mag tube and pulled it out.

Wish I had never sold it.

Looking at your Selecta choke I would imagine the white rings might indicate what choke it was supposed to be - ring nearest thread full and last one after unscrewing imp cyl. Mine had choke size marked all round head bit with mark on body to line up with whatever choke you chose- so tighten up for full and loosen for open. - Have to agree though that choosing a choke size was trial and error.

406906452.jpg

Dave

Edited by DSPUK

Many years ago I had a Rem 1100 with full choke a good third of the shot hit the entry diameter of the tube .

In the end I removed the cutts piece and had a short threaded tube which was knurled and about 1.5 inches long.

This fitted between the barrel and whatever choke I wanted. As for the cutts compensater it was usless by the time

the shot left the barrel it had spread out crossing the length of the cutts it then hit the upper part of any choke deforming

a good portion of the shot fired .

The spreader acts as a venturi opening up the shot charge.

£400 on chokes!!! Glad I just got spare barrels for my 1100 skeet came with it 1/2 & 1/4 for £40 each.

twice as much as the gun is worth no doubt! but the sentimental value of this gun is priceless to me i have no intention of selling this gun ever! so i wanted to make it the complete set and restore it to new condition again, as to how it patterns, from pattern tests ive done it groups pretty well with a nice even spread, im yet to do lr#2 and 3 yet! but in the field its proved its self plenty of times its dusted plenty of high birds! its never going to be as good as modern chokes but an intresting conversation piece! you never know it might be of rare historical value one day :)

Edited by mike-b