game crop help needed please

Hi all

we have a small shoot on the north yorks moors and this year we have tryed a couple of blocks of maze as game crops which due to the weather up here is touch and go if it will fail, so I need a plan B. I have been told mustard and fodder rape is fast growing and will make a decent cover crop, I not sure if this sould be broudcast or sown in rows. Any suggestions or advice would be greatfully recieved

mark

A late mix I've both broadcasted and drilled is mustard, forage rape, stubble turnips and kale rape hybrid. If I'm honest I think I would stick with straight mustard this year with patching up the failed bits- I found the mix I had last year was just too wet for the birds even with rides cut through it and nothing really wanted to be in it. Maybe a fodder raddish, buckwheat mustard mix to keep the bottom dry and allow access for game. Cheers

you can get a patching mix.

whats up with the maize? ours is way behind but confident it will come good

there was lots of wicks "couch grass if you not a northerner" coming through and maybe 5% maze showing so we took a chance and sprayed with roundup so losed that. The maze which had not emerged is now through but a bit patchy, hopefully more will germinate but its been cold north and eastly winds on the east coast wile the rest of the country has had a couple of week of warm weather

mark

Tried to persuade landowner towards Utopia but we've gone for labrador and Setter with Tritikale mixed.We are just broadcasting some more on today after contractor accidentally sprayed our cover crop! With this rain and the ground warming up rapidly we're quite confident it will strike.

Another shoot uses fodder beet,which holds birds brilliantly,but too late for that this year I think.