Wednesday evening shoot

NickB65

Well I managed to leave work early (one of the few perks of being the manager) and was in the field and set-up by six. I decided to go back to the Beet field and give the Rape field a bit of a rest but to shoot them on the flight line. A very muggy and hot evening which meant little activity until it cooled down a little.

Set-up on the pylon again but this time on the other side as the wind was W.N.W. Set-up a coma shape arcing out to sweep them in with the bouncers either side. Unlike last time the wind was gentle so I set one bouncer as normal but the other I shortened so it looked like a bird gliding in. I was in the hide less than a minute when a lone bird almost followed me into the hide. One shot and he was added to the pattern. More came over but again they did not lie what they saw so a little tweak to the pattern and still they came in but just did not commit. Took the big bouncer away and moved the glider and a few came in. Some low hugging the ground while others high swooping down. Then quiet again.... Three Rooks came toward me and I watched them fly high to go over the Pylon and right over my head..... I did not even stand I just sat there mounted the gun and down one came.... cawing as the dropped to the ground and thudded into the ground... that hurt. Went over to move him from the pattern and he was still alive.... yes I hit him with quarter choke so may not be that many pellets but that drop I thought would of shattered every bone. Dispatched him and took him back tot he hide.

Packed up at 8:30pm with a total of six woodies and the single crow. Slow shooting but some good sport and when I was hitting them they where one shot kills, just not so good on the distance shots 45+ yards out. I think an investment in a flapper or a magnet may help draw them in more....

19th%20June.jpg

Edited by NickB65

nice and plump and ready for the BBQ..... just need to master those distance shots and get myself a gig to lure them a little closer..... Dam muggy evening though and they were not that keen on doing much. Saying that I could have been there until dark as they where still drafting around when I left at 9.