Pigeons in rain/fog

mahmood

has anyone had any good decoying in the rain?

:D Only once while having a good day on rape stubble last year.

They had been streaming in all day and when there was a cloudburst and i was holding a brightly coloured brolly in my left hand, they continued coming.

Ever tried shooting one handed, it is not recommended even though i managed a couple.

Normally though forget it when it,s raining and keep yourself dry the same as the pigeons.

:lol:

Mahmood

Firstly you have to find the most popular wood on the day you want to shoot. If you get a chance, look to see where the birds are roosting for a day or two before you intend to shoot.

Once you have done this, you should have a rough idea which side or part of the wood the birds are roosting in.

Have a walk through into the wood and look for droppings on the floor, this tell you which trees are being used. Standing underneath these trees is not essential.

Next look for a place close to the roosting trees that offers you a clear shot at the pigeons on their approach to the roosting trees. Try to find a clearing above that gives you enough time to swing the gun, as if the space is to tight you may struggle to get the gun mounted before the bird has disappeared.

On the day:

Get into the position you have chosen, and then watch the first few birds to see which way they are coming in.

Adjust your stance to be in the best position possible for the shot.

Keep your gun up (but not mounted), as this will help you be a bit quicker on the mount.

Pick your bird as it approaches the above clearing, & then just before it gets to the clearing, mount your gun, pull through, & fire!

Try not to move around the wood, as the birds will be looking down as they come in, & they will see you.

Good Luck!

Ever tried shooting one handed, it is not recommended even though i managed a couple.

We had a thalidomide victim in the gun line on Thursday and Friday!

False legs(I presume, under the breeks) and arms about a foot long.

Boy! could he shoot pheasants!

Made us all feel very humble!

Its marvellous how a person can learn to adapt to physical handicaps and do things that the more fortunate of us would think as impossible to do.

I am full of admiration for him and others in the same position.

I remember as a young lad ( yes, many moons ago.) an uncle of mine who lost an arm in WW 1 and watching fascinated as he rolled,lit with a match and smoked a cigarette in the time it would take me just to roll one with both hands. ???