Over cleaning a rifle?

fieldwanderer

I've been "brought up" to the way of thinking that a clean barrel is better and more accurate, my coach when I was shooting competitively hit the nail on the head; a clean piece of steel can be consistent - dirt can't. And I wholeheartedly agree.

However, I keep hearing and reading about people wearing barrels (notably c/f) out by "over cleaning".

So, after breaking the barrel in, if I were to stick to my usual regime of (after each use);

Phosphor-bronze brush 2-5 strokes, usually with solvent on first stroke and just keep sending it through (without removing solvent from brush until I'm done with it).

Slightly larger, nylon brush turned a couple of times in chamber.

Then pieces of 4x2 cut to the relevant size until they come out spotless, then one with a spot of oil on it (literally just a spot). And wipe the crown with one or two of the cleaner patches after they've been used.

And a more serious session a few times a year. I also strip and clean the bolt occasionally, every other month roughly.

Is that too much?

From looking at the rifles you have, i would only clean the HMR.

Just a tip that i have found is to patch through with acetone last thing then a dry patch,i have found its bob on after.

But i do use my CF every week weather permitting of course so they are not standing too long without use.

Stripping the rifle down for me is when i get bored from not being able to get out, which is not very often thankfully

My cleaning system is one stroke of the brush for every copper jacketed round fired , So 30 fired out of the 7.62 at the range will get 30 strokes of the phos bronze brush ,Then a flush with wd followed by patches until clean and a final wipe with a dab of 303 on a mop.

From looking at the rifles you have, i would only clean the HMR.

I know a lot of people who'd be horrified! Lol

I think the point is, we all have our own method. I posted this question more with my centrefire in mind when I eventually get it, though I feel you'd need to be well and truly o.c.d. To wear a barrel out.

As an example, my anschutz match rifle was given to my coach (Barry Dagger) at a match in the mid 70s, early 80s by mr anschutz himself - knowing Barry, it'll have had thousands of rounds through it and cleaned after each use, it saw at least one Olympics. Some point it found its way to my brother in law and then to me, I can't vouch for anyone except Barry, my brother in law and myself but I do know we'll all have cleaned it after each use. I've put a lot of lead through it and also used it in at least two international matches- so, frankly, it's had a long hard life and it still out shoots me and I don't consider myself to be too shabby a shot!

Think I might just have answered my own question there actually; a c/f (particularly the .22/250 or similar) will burn its barrel well before you could clean it to death - unless you're a little bit mad!

Yeah, thanks anyway - sometimes I just need "someone" to talk to, to get the old grey matter working :lol: even someone who has absolutely no idea what I'm on about will often do :blush:

Can't see anything wrong with the routine you describe and It will never wear your barrel out if done with care and the correct tools.

After I've scrubbed and patched clean with dry patches I always soak a patch in solvent (I use Butches Bore-Shine) and put that through. It shows up any stubborn fouling that remains. If there's a lot I'll go back to the brush again, but unless I've let the routine slip one wet patch will do it. Then dry patch again until spotless. Since I've been on PW I've adopted the meths finish. Soak a patch in meths and run that through to remove all traces of oil/solvent then one clean patch to finish.

I clean my HMR every 100 rounds, my .222 every 30/40 because the copper builds up and my .308 about the same. The CFs get boresnaked after each outing, the HMR doesn't.

I find if I clean properly and regularly and not just spray oil everywhere as a substitute, the bolts don't need dismantling. A blow with action blaster occasionly and a good brushing then a smear of white grease.