Sporting Fun In The Wheat

Raptor1971

Having managed to get rid of the missus for the day I decided to get out and try and have a few hours sportwithout any ear ache.I decided to head off to a litte wooded area I have on a peice of permission. The only down side is it is in the middle of a field ful of high wheat but thought i'd give it a go and see what the afternoon brought.

when i pulled up at the gate and closed the door i was gobsmacked when around 3 -400 birds took flight out of the trees on the edge of the wood that is roughly 150yrds from the gate, i couldnt believe my eyes my heart started racing and i couldnt get my gear out the motor quick enough. I stood and watched the birds for 10 mins before heading over and they just kept coming back to the wood :good:

I didnt bother taking the hide netting or poles as theres loads of cover and set myself up on the east side of the wood with the wind behind me and the birds coming in to me from the wheat field over the lane into the wood. I decided to make the decision to only shoot the birds inbound so any that dropped were coming in towards the wood and wood land on the edge of the wheat. I managed drop the first bird that landed about 10yrd behind me and set the bouncer up with it.

The sport was good with birds coming steady for a couple of hours but my plan of hitting birds and them dropping in towards me didn't quite work out with a number hitting the deck out in the wheat and despite my best efforts i only managed to locate 6 of the 14 out in the field but did have 23 land behind me and on the edge of the field. In total a bag of 29 picked up. out of 37 dropped and not shooting the fliers from left to right and vice versa due to the crop damage i may of caused walking and searching the field.

Just need it to be cropped down or a good blow hole to appear :rolleyes: looking at the flight lines the wood could take 7 guns and all have some good sport.

great discipline and quality shooting...and another good write up.. :good:

Thanks, but i think its best to keep the farmer on side and not pee him off by flattenening his livelyhood along with keeping the permission

Well done, at least you tried to drop the birds were you could pick them!

Cheerrs Lg1, but it just made more sense than anything else so i didnt damage the crop

nice to hear you had some good sport fella. like a lot of us you have been waiting for it :good:

Cheers, its been a while but the days are drawing closer to the big bag days hopefuly if i keep my eye in and by the ook of the birds hanging around the wheat fields its going to be crazy !