General Knowlage Quiz

red_stag88

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red if you had included the word trout we would have had the answer by now, there is only one spieces of trout, that is "salmo truta". And that includes sea trout which has the same latin name as brown trout .It also includes all the other variations of trout ie slob trout, ferrox trout but does not include members of the chars.

Ah but TC for a species to be recognised as an independent species cross breeding can not occur between it and another species which produces fertile offspring, and as far as I know brown trout and sea trout can't reproduce with each other to produce fertile offspring? Thereby they must be different species!

If they can do it and produce fertile offspring then I stand corrected but I've never heard of it ???

Its still not known if like breeds like, but the most prolific sea trout rivers have little plant life and are mostly spate rivers. Therefore could not sustain a good head of brown trout in their waters. Because of lack of food. That may be the reason for the trout going to the sea.

these are just some i've heard of but i'm am most likely wrong plus their not native to england:

Loch Leven trout, Orkney trout and Irish trout brown trout

probably some of those don't even exist ???

Hmm... Loch leven, Orkney, has a scotish ring, and Irish trout brown trout as you put it must be irish. :lol:

Do you do geography tom? :lol: