Poults and pellets, how much do u estimate? (and straw bales)

Just a quick 1, roughly how much pellets do u estimate to allow for when feeding ur poults, i used to think it was about 2-2.5T per thous poults, Does that sound about right? (and i thought i was being generous at that)

My poults are well on the way to eating throu wot i thought would do them and only had them 2 weeks, looking cracking thou, cocks really starting to colour up now. Althou little bu**ers found there legs too thou

Finaly a wee quicky about straw bales. Which type (barley or wheat) does everyone prefer for the rides and why? Have heard folk argueing the merits off both for differing reasons in the past (althou can't remember wot they were now)

Also wot is the size/volume/weight difference between big sq heston type bales and round bales? Think last year we paid 20 for round and 25 for sq for wheat, which would be the best value?

Not sure which i prefer to work with (probably round althou can only fit the 1 in trailer compared to 2 sq althou a bu**er to get the last 1 out with the fixed sides)

Cheers folks

Marsdens Feeds say about 15 bags (25kg) per 1,000 poults, per week:

http://www.marsdensfeeds.co.uk/marsdens-pheasant-feeds-product-detail/grower-pellets/pidb58c35d8-9810-4f59-b7a6-09fb156ca6d6

This year, we had 5T for 1,500 pheasants and 325 ducks. They will be on pellets for longer than they need to be, but we need to get through until some wheat gets cut before we can move them over.

I think that barley straw is much better for feeding on than wheat straw. Barley straw lasts longer and puffs up when it gets wet, wheat straw turns to mush fairly quickly when it gets wet. No idea on the difference is size between round and Heston bales, but round bales are easier to handle, and easier to spread out as they just roll out when you cut the strings. I would guess on your figures that you would get more straw for your money from a Heston bale.

Cheers folks, i thought my numbers were about right if slighlty generous.

At moment the 350 poults are looking like i'm going to need 1.5 t of pellets ate almost 1t already that usually does them and feeds the partridge well throu the season, and all my hoppers are not even full as i tend to keep them 1/2 full incase have to switch to medicated/treat feed, so far so good, as in relatively new pen sites.. The bu**ers are eating it and hanging about so i will keep feeding it, must admit they are looking well.

Just slightly confused as that ammount usually does the shoot and 1 of the boy's who runs neighbouring shoot was speaking to a very large commercial shoot head keeper who said his birds are eating far less than normal with the weather yet mine are eating more?

Cheers for the tips on straw, i was on a GCT shoot walk/educational day years ago and the 2 advisors (both very knowledgable and experienced) running it both used the different straw types and both had good reasons for it but i can't mind wot the reasons were now for each type

We actually experimented with OSR straw last year, DON'T, the reason was to try and keep deer off the feed rides which did work but the birds didnae like it, think to harsh and coarse for the pheasants (which was wot kept the deer off them)

I've always used small wheat bales.

Easier to put exactly where you want, just cut the top band, ram feed into the slices and the birds will do the rest.

Oh and wheat straw is cheaper.

The reason I've not used barley straw is when used for horse bedding it can cause skin irritations in horses, and as pheasants don't like eating barley due to the sharp husk it seemed logical to stick with wheat straw. Yes barley straw does retain its 'loft' better but a bale of wheat straw seems to last long enough even when the birds have scattered it you can keep feeding it to hold them.

I use 6 ton for 1800 birds.

2 ton with ACS medication and 4 ton standard.

I might get more pellets this year and turn them on to wheat later.

Harvest seems to come later each year so hopefully keeping them on pellets will stop so much wandering.

I get my birds in 2 lots too, 900 mid July & 900 mid Aug