What .223 moderator ????

rimmie

Hi all, I will be picking up my .223 in a couple of days. So I'm just wondering what mods people are using ? I had a wildcat pred 8 on my .223 a year or so ago, and it was good but to big and heavy. My local RFD had a use utra sl5 in and reckons its mustard. I have also been looking at the hardy gen 4, witch looks really good and is very light. HELP people !!

Thanks njc, I've handeld the new sl5 and its very light !! But it's a matte silver colour so I'm thinking it will look a bit odd hanging of the end of a black rifle ? The hardys are supposed to be really good,and as said there very light to. There imported by riflecraft I think ?

You can always paint it with stove black spray. That's how my local RFD did one for me and it looked just like a factory finish.

I'd put more faith in a company like Ase. If the SL5 is nice and light I would go with that, they've got a great reputation for making quality solid mods. What's the cost difference if any?

That's a good idea, the reason why I wanted a end of barrel mod is I've bought a browning TCT varmint and its got a really heavy fluted barrel, so I didn't want to mark it. I think Simon6ppc has a sl5 and he rates it. The sl5 is £250 and the hardy is usually near £300 but I did see one the other day for £250. This is a reflex type though.

Why would any one want a silencer for a .223? I have shot in excess of 300 foxes and over 1000 hares and never needed one

Deershooter

There's no question about the abilty to be able to shoot any rifle at whatever quary you have in mind, they shoot well with or without.

But the ability to hold a normal conversation with a shooter that is profoundly deaf from damaged hearing caused by shooting rifles without sound moderators is extremly frustrating for both party's. Yes you can wear hearing protection whilst shooting if you choose, the same as folks choose to use moderators. But what you will not have the choice of is regaining your hearing loss, but that may be your choice, once its gone its gone for good.

I have shot with an old timer that was happy to shoot without for as long as i am old, he shot both sporting and target at quite a high level and all i hear him say during a conversation is "you'll have to speak up" He has just recently moved up into the 21st century and has a mod for one,only one of his rifles. And that is the only rifle he will be asked to take whilst out lamping for Fox's due to the ecessive noise of an un-moderated rifle.

Hi all, I will be picking up my .223 in a couple of days. So I'm just wondering what mods people are using ? I had a wildcat pred 8 on my .223 a year or so ago, and it was good but to big and heavy. My local RFD had a use utra sl5 in and reckons its mustard. I have also been looking at the hardy gen 4, witch looks really good and is very light. HELP people !!

The new S5 are allot lighter as said, i have the old heavy weight, very good but if i had the choice to swap i would, but its not on a rifle i walk around with. I have a Sonic on another (very light) also a JetZ compact for a 30.06 which again is very good.